Boss GX-100 as Audio Interface for Amplitube 5?

Vortac

Hey all,

Is there any way I can use my Boss GX-100 as the audio interface between my guitar and my laptop running Amplitube 5 Max?

Just curious if I still need yet another separate audio interface since I already have the GX 100 that can communicate to my computer. Would amplitube 5 max be able to receive the signal from my guitar, allow me to process it, and then send it back to my GX-100 in order to then send that signal out to my monitors?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Is there any way I can use my Boss GX-100 as the audio interface between my guitar and my laptop running Amplitube 5 Max?

Just curious if I still need yet another separate audio interface since I already have the GX 100 that can communicate to my computer. Would amplitube 5 max be able to receive the signal from my guitar, allow me to process it, and then send it back to my GX-100 in order to then send that signal out to my monitors?

Thanks!
Yes. Just use USB 3 out (USB 1+2 back in) and mute the amp in whichever patch you have selected in the GX-100 so you don’t hear it along with the output from Amplitube 5. (I don’t have Amplitube 5 specifically but have done this with other software like Helix Native.)

Boss GX100 headroom is 18dBu, and Amplitube wants MUCH louder signals so in amplitube be prepared to use the input slider cranked high. The slash boost pedal is useful too. Some models need a LOT of level so don't feel weird setting the input level very high.

Yes. Just use USB 3 out (USB 1+2 back in) and mute the amp in whichever patch you have selected in the GX-100 so you don’t hear it along with the output from Amplitube 5. (I don’t have Amplitube 5 specifically but have done this with other software like Helix Native.)
Great info, I’ll try it as soon as I get home, thx!!

Boss GX100 headroom is 18dBu, and Amplitube wants MUCH louder signals so in amplitube be prepared to use the input slider cranked high. The slash boost pedal is useful too. Some models need a LOT of level so don't feel weird setting the input level very high.
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought amplitube 5, haven’t installed yet, but I’ll make sure I have that input issue in mind when I start messing with it, thanks!!

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought amplitube 5, haven’t installed yet, but I’ll make sure I have that input issue in mind when I start messing with it, thanks!!
Just as a frame of reference, in this video my input is 6.5dB louder than the signal from the Boss so you may need to boost 20dB or more to get an accurate gain response from Amplitube. Its different for each model and its not clear what is best to aim for. Around 20 should be a good starting point for most models, a couple are less but most seem to be around there (or more).

Good luck!

Just as a frame of reference, in this video my input is 6.5dB louder than the signal from the Boss so you may need to boost 20dB or more to get an accurate gain response from Amplitube. Its different for each model and its not clear what is best to aim for. Around 20 should be a good starting point for most models, a couple are less but most seem to be around there (or more).

Good luck!

Very interesting video. A couple of things come to mind:

1). Would it be fair to say then that the input issue is not caused by the GX-100’s limitation to provide a signal “boosted enough”, but instead caused by a limitation in Amplitube 5’s algorithms pertaining gain structure? Meaning, if I had a separate, dedicated USB interface I would probably come across the issue gain issue?

2). From the last part of the video I gather that IKMultimedia may have corrected the gain issue on their 5th/current version?

Thx!

1). Would it be fair to say then that the input issue is not caused by the GX-100’s limitation to provide a signal “boosted enough”, but instead caused by a limitation in Amplitube 5’s algorithms pertaining gain structure? Meaning, if I had a separate, dedicated USB interface I would probably come across the issue gain issue?
Yeah exactly - The issue has nothing to do with Boss, all interfaces and modellers have their own amounts of headroom and none are more valid or correct than another. Fractal also uses a similar amount of headroom (from memory). On the opposite end of things Kemper defaults to a signal that is about 13dB louder than this value. Some Behringer interfaces are 20dB louder than the Boss. Lots of units fall somewhere in the middle. IK (or any plugin) has no idea what input (or level) the user is using, so they have to just pick a value and give the user an input level so they can adjust to suit their needs. Generally a higher amount of headroom suggests a higher quality converter, and it’ll be harder to clip. Some opt for slightly less headroom to get the best signal to noise ratio although I think there are basically minimal benefits to be had there due to other noises coming into play with guitars anyway.

2). From the last part of the video I gather that IKMultimedia may have corrected the gain issue on their 5th/current version?

Unfortunately the problem is not only still present in V5, IK still won’t acknowledge or commit to doing anything to help about it. Users have had to work this out for themselves, and at best, all we can do is guess what level each model wants. Pretty much EVERY other company I’ve contacted about input levels has been able to give me concrete advice on what level to use. IK handled it less well, unfortunately.

Hoping that changes with the next version of Amplitube.

@Vortac Here is a page that may help: Use Ctl/Exp, Midi (from memory)

Use Dry Out to vary the level into the software and the others as you see fit (muting the amp is the quickest way to prevent the Boss sound being added and provided you don’t save the patch that way will change back automatically when you recall the patch but you could use the settings here instead).

Attachments

• IMG_0138.png
    IMG_0138.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 68
Great info y’all, thanks a million. I tried a couple ways (one of them the one suggested earlier) and both worked fine. I ultimately ended up creating an empty patch and went over to Menu-USB Settings - and turned direct monitor to OFF to see what happens, that seems to do the trick too. As soon as I loaded Amplitube 5 I selected the GX-100 as input and output and worked flawlessly. 👍🏼

One more question for those who want the bonus points!: Would it be possible to use the foot switches on my GX-100 to activate/deactivate pedals on my chain in Amplitube 5? I'm thinking I may be over-reaching here but though I’d ask 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Hey all,

Just for follow up and so that it remains here on the forums in case anyone else comes across the same question…

The GX-100 does work with Amplitube 5 as a MIDI out. The only thing you have to be careful with is de-assigning foot switches 1-4 on the GX-100 (turning them off) so that you can assign them instead as parameters (PC) to be sent to your Amplitube 5 on your laptop. Worked flawlessly 👍🏼

Thanks all for chiming in!
V.

Does anybody measured the round-trip latency of the GX100 as an audio interface?

Those of you using it as an interface with amplitube, it'd be great if you do the measure. It's really easy and quick with a free app called "RTL Utility".

It's interesting to know it. Boss units are known for being the fastest as standalone units (under 1ms latency). Very curious to know how they perform as interface.

I am just like you I have amplitube and fortin cali suite.I am this week trying a new tone setup with fortin cali and the rectifier patch on the gx100. So far it sounds more than possibly good.I spent a good deal of money on my software, I wanted a way to getting out of being a waste

Back