Boss GM-800 and Helix

DanRad

Groupie
I finally got my GK-5s installed and spent some time playing around with things yesterday (and about to spend some more time soon).

Loving it so far!

I'm sending the out on the GM-800 to Return 2 on the Helix. If I want to add a synth part to a song, I've been dropping Return 2 into the Path 2B and giving that it's own path to the output. I assign the bypass for Return 2 to a switch and map Exp 1 pedal to the Return level to control volume. In command center, I set one of the instant commands to call up the correct patch.

For songs that need more than one patch and where I'll be playing synth all the way through, I don't bother mapping Bypass to a switch and instead use command center to assign different switches to different scenes.

I've got a lot to learn. It would be nice, for instance, to be able to turn different sections of a scene on and off with the Helix. I'm sure there's a way to do that, but I haven't dug into it yet. I need to get better at creating and modifying scenes, too. But that will come with time.

I'm really pleased. Looking forward to my first practice this week to see how it all sits in the mix.

I guess I didn't ask, but I was hoping other Helix owners would discuss how they're adding the GM-800 in to the workflow to see if I was missing out on something obvious.

P.S. Sounded great at practice. First gig with it coming up Friday!

I don't have the GM-800, but I send from loop 1 to the SY-300 and return stereo to 1 and 2. I use the volume pedal to fade between regular guitar and the SY. Toe down is 100% guitar and heel down is 100% SY-300.

I don't have the GM-800, but I send from loop 1 to the SY-300 and return stereo to 1 and 2. I use the volume pedal to fade between regular guitar and the SY. Toe down is 100% guitar and heel down is 100% SY-300.

I can't use the send for the GM-800 because it takes the GK cable directly from the divided pickup.

When I need to switch between guitar and GM-800 sounds, I set up a switch on the Helix that bypasses the return and toggles between 100% and 0% volume on the guitar path so that when the return is active, the guitar is silenced and when the return is off, the guitar is at full volume.

When I need to blend sounds, like bringing in the organ on Against the Wind, I just use the expression pedal to pull up the volume on the GM-800.

Here's the rig in action the other night.

4D15E517-500F-44E4-9127-C798F6264AB8_1_105_c.jpeg

So how did it fare with the controller? Remind me; how difficult is it switching between the guitar and controller? I know you mentioned something about being a PITA.

It worked well with the controller. Switching is a bit of a PITA, but not disastrous. Essentially, it's four button pushes (Menu -> Page right -> MIDI -> MIDI Settings), a couple knob twists to select the MIDI input and change it from GK to MIDI and then a couple hits on the Exit button to get to the patch screen (IMPORTANT IF YOU PLAN ON SWITCHING SCENES).

Then, of course, remembering to do it again to switch back to GK before you play through the guitar again.

Making MIDI input assignable per scene is pretty much at the top of my wish list.

It worked well with the controller. Switching is a bit of a PITA, but not disastrous. Essentially, it's four button pushes (Menu -> Page right -> MIDI -> MIDI Settings), a couple knob twists to select the MIDI input and change it from GK to MIDI and then a couple hits on the Exit button to get to the patch screen (IMPORTANT IF YOU PLAN ON SWITCHING SCENES).

Then, of course, remembering to do it again to switch back to GK before you play through the guitar again.

Making MIDI input assignable per scene is pretty much at the top of my wish list.
That's awesome. If you planned out your setlists; you could mitigate some of this I am betting. Other than an uninitiated band member calling out an audible :mad:

That's awesome. If you planned out your setlists; you could mitigate some of this I am betting. Other than an uninitiated band member calling out an audible :mad:

We do plan out our set list ahead of time, but sometimes make changes on the fly. But I've marked my set list with which guitar I use, whether I need the GK cable or whether I'm using the controller.

Reactions: JT
Circling back around to this. I have a couple of contenders for this task. Biggest problem I am seeing is most of these controllers are bus powered. So I would need an adapter for those vs. one with a dedicated power cord. Not a huge dealbreaker but an extra thing to account for.

I use the GM-800 also with a midi note controller (DIY floor foot switches as a keyboard) and what I do is set the input to "Custom" and allocate synth parts 1 & 2 to the GK pickup, and parts 3 & 4 to the foot controller,
so I can play both at the same time.

Back