BluGuitar Amp X

My 600 euro ASM Hydrasynth Explorer has 4 non-notched endless encoders with a similar small display to what the Amp X uses on the four "X-Controls" and it works just fantastic. That's how I'd do it.

It's not just how you'd do it - it's how everybody should be forced to do it! Endless encoders (decent ones with enough friction please...) and some sort of readout (typically a small display or an LED ring) is the way to deal with programmable parameters.
FFS, manufactures of the world, stop complaining about Behringers's IP theft, pay it back to them! They've got those endless encoders pretty damn right on their BCR 2000 and VAmps, so just steal that concept!

I find Blug such a likeable dude, and his insistence that it will only launch when it is fully realized I admire, but I do fall in the endless encoder camp. Once you go under the hood (literally) it starts to lose me. Sounds good though for his sorts of tones. Curious what he does for the high gain crowd. (Was happy he said he’s turned his focus in that direction)

Last edited:
I find Blug such a likeable dude, and his insistence that it will only launch when it is fully realized I admire, but I do fall in the endless encoder camp. Once you go under the hood (literally) on this thing, that aspect of the device starts to lose me. Sounds good though for his sorts of tones. Curious what he does for the high gain crowd. (Was happy he said he’s turned his focus in that direction)
But it sounds like it’s still way out he will be back at summer NAMM I predict and it will not be out yet,

have nothing but respect for the man but the problem with
the pace is that ultimately someone is going to grab your idea and get there first ,

It won’t take much for an offshore company to throw in a nano tube and a preamp tube with their amp models and call it a day , although I don’t like mooer they have TC and by all accounts something like their 2290 delay is a solid reproduction
So imagine a mooer board w nano tube technology, and TC effects for $600 vs the $2000 or up Blug will charge and then additional charges for company blug prints .

But it sounds like it’s still way out he will be back at summer NAMM I predict and it will not be out yet,

the pace is that ultimately someone is going to grab your idea and get there first ,

It won’t take much for an offshore company to throw in a nano tube and a preamp tube with their amp models and call it a day , although I don’t like mooer they have TC and by all accounts something like their 2290 delay is a solid reproduction
So imagine a mooer board w nano tube technology, and TC effects for $600 vs the $2000 or up Blug will charge and then additional charges for company blug prints .

For sure. I haven’t tried a Blug product yet, so I’m more of a curious onlooker following this, but I do like that he doesn’t want to throw this out there half baked with a bunch of #SOON promises. I’d be very confident when it does drop that it’s a fully realized idea and a comprehensive unit.

But I do agree. The market is evolving at such a pace that id be worried about such a prolonged dev period. I hope this lands to a receptive audience.

Blackstar Amped range has already tried to rip off BluGuitar and do models with fx built in, but it hasn't made any real dent. Similarly H&K has their Black Spirit 200 with a similar idea. Neither are as flexible as Blug aims for on the Amp X and neither sound as good.

I don't think BluGuitar gets all the design and operation aspects right, but they do get the tone and feel.

Curious what he does for the high gain crowd. (Was happy he said he’s turned his focus in that direction)

On BluGuitar's last livestream someone in the chat said they would be willing to bring some really high end high gain amps for BluGuitar to add to Amp X, but probably later in the year. He had a Wizard, Mezzabarba, Gower modded Marshall...those would be some pretty killer options. Hope they can make that happen!

Afaik they will also have a model of Euge Valovirta's "Bad Boy" JCM800.

For the record the Iridium models are also rather competent:

I think it's more that customers, once potantially interested, will be sorted already. Sure, there's folks new to all this - but I think it's rather likely that they will develop a vital interest in an all analog platform. And as said, those once interested, might be sorted by now. Unlike at the time when the Amp 1 was released, this is now an almost crowded market. Today you can chose between several pedalboard-friendly power amps of pretty much any size and price. Add whatever modeler floats your boat and you're there.
Plus, I don't think Amp X will exactly be cheap, more to the opposite. I mean, Amp 1 is around €870 already, Amp x would likely be at least 2, perhaps close to 3 times that. Money that will easily buy you a very decent modeler and a pedalboard power amp.

what happened to this? its already almost mid 2024 and its not out? hmm
By the time it’s released, the hardware will probably be obsolete and [insert Chinese knockoff company here] would have released a comparable device for half the cost.

Back