"Blood Sugar Sex Magik" cover

DrewJD82

Staff member
I was dicking around with pedals last night when this song popped up in my YouTube feed and I thought I was in the tonal ballpark enough to bang out a quick cover. When trying to find a backing track, I wasn't stoked with whatever was popping up, so I ripped the individual tracks off YouTube and made my own backing track. The isolated tracks were cleaner than anything else I was finding and I could turn the damn vocals down. :rofl

In case Audius isn't working- https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2073...ey=qht27djh5mbpet8yg8goek29u&st=cfim8fs3&dl=0

I snapped this in the midst of recording it.
IMG_6470.jpg

Old Man Strat w/ Pribora Classics - Vibe Machine V3 - Cantrell wah - Zendrive - OCD - Lovepedal Multitap - Electra Dyne -Suhr RL - AxeFX Friedman GB/V30 DynaCabs

This was more of an effort to see how quickly I could go from re-learning a song I haven't played since 1998 to being done the recording. I didn't spend a whole lot of time getting tones or nailing the parts, I wanted to see if I could just make it work with where I was at right in that spot. The hardest part of that was the chorus; it's so easy to rush that riff because the energy makes it feel like it should be played faster than the tempo allows for. Such a great example of why Chad Smith is a beast, all the energy in the drums is from the playing dynamics. Coming into that last chorus he lays into the drums and it just adds so much weight without changing the tempo at all.

Last edited:
Nice!

Got to stop and check out Rick Rubin's Laurel Canyon home where the Pepper's recorded that album.
Ridiculously cool vibe about the whole area. No wonder all the rich hippies and rock stars lived there in the 70s.

295862752_b88bfa21bb_b.jpg
It was Rubin's studio not home.
Home were 2 places in Point Dume/Malibu one of which he started to rent out for 75k a month

He moved his studio from the mansion to down the street from where he lives...Shangri-La in 2011, when I still lived in Malibu.

In the 80s before Rubin revived the place a lot of LA guys went there to squat/party

Back