Blending amps question.

megametal7

Roadie
As some of you know we are recording one of my songs called “Inferno”

On Sat we tracked drums, last take was dope….. That was the one.

On Thursday its my turn to record guitars.

For rhythms Ill be using Jcm 2000 into 4x12 with T75s

So here is the queation.

For lead im thinking to blend amps….

Either Dual rec with DSL100HR or Single rec with DSL100HR into jcm800 g12-80 and Mesa 4x12 cab not sure which speakers are in them.

Is that good idea or shell I just use one amp for solos?

Let me know your take on this?

Thanks

I’d generally advise spending the time available getting the best tone with one amp. Two is just adding more complexity and potential for problems, and with no guarantee that it’ll even sound any better

Every bit this. I'd even say that in general, blending two amps, while possibly working for certain kinds of rhythm guitars, is no good idea for leads, as you want a focused sound rather than some mish-mash.
Which is why I've been asking "why", because whenever I'd do something like that, there'd be a special purpose, let's say such as blending a clean and an overdriven tone, maybe even putting them left and right. But in most cases, that's not what any kind of "typical" lead sound demands.

Last edited:
In recording, anything goes. That includes blending amps for leads. It's certainly been done a lot. The big question is time and money spent, if that is part of the equation. Another option is running one amp and then a separate DI for later processing? You could reamp it or add a modeling plugin to enhance along side the real amp track (or replace it).

I almost always use a different amp for recording leads, because it’ll stand apart from the rhythms.

That said, I do that with all the time in the world on my AxeFX or amps I’m familiar with recording, if I were paying for time I’d absolutely focus on getting a killer tone from 1 amp for the rhythms and then just tweaking the EQ/using a different guitar for the lead.

Good plan mr rectifier guy.

Im using Jackson RR white one for Rhythms
That guitar sounds delicious. Its loaded with SD but no idea which set possible Jb? Its all stock that gutar.

For leads I was thinking to use My green Jackson it has Dimarzio D activator set and sounds good for leads.

I like a different amp for leads than what was used in the rhythm, and additionally I often like two different amps for the double tracking of the rhythm too

Different amps for leads and doubling, sure, all the time. But two amps in parallel for a lead sound seems overkill in most cases.

Oh if that is whats being meant here then I agree.

I think so. I mean:

For lead im thinking to blend amps….

I wouldn't double track a lead at all honestly

Double tracking could possibly even be worth experimenting with. But regardless whether you're recording through two amps in parallel or double tracking whatever lines, I guess we can agree that these are pretty special scenarios and techniques not exactly required for anything within the boundaries of whatever "typical" lead tones.

Set up a sound that you like playing with. Problem solved.
And yes, I'm serious. Lead sounds cause way less issues than proper rhythm sounds, so the most important purpose is to make the player happy.

Back