Blackface Fender references?

bikescene

Groupie
What are you reference tones for Fender cleans? Do you have any benchmark recordings in mind when you are testing amps?

I don’t have any firsthand experience with them, so I’ve dialing in digital models blindly. I was thinking of looking into an amp like a DRRI for cleans and light overdrive. Is that amp a good place to start, or is there a better representation of a Fender blackface amp in 2024?

On the clean side the first things that pop into my head are all the recordings Brent Mason did in the ‘90s with Alan Jackson.

That was all Tele into a Boss compressor into a blackface Deluxe.

Here’s another good Brent Mason example. I think this is a Tone Master DR

I love Fender cleans, but to me it ain't a Deluxe. Don't get me wrong, the Deluxe Reverb is the shit, but its the shit because it breaks up so early. To me, those beautiful blooming cleans are exemplified by the bigger iron models a la Band Master, Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Dual Showman, etc.

I love Fender cleans, but to me it ain't a Deluxe. Don't get me wrong, the Deluxe Reverb is the shit, but its the shit because it breaks up so early. To me, those beautiful blooming cleans are exemplified by the bigger iron models a la Band Master, Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Dual Showman, etc.

Good point, I think too many people don’t realize blackface amps aren’t just clean machines and one of the reasons the Deluxe is so popular is because it breaks up earlier than some of the more powerful blackface amps.

Thanks. I’ll read up on the different amps. I’ve read about them breaking up in by passing, but will need to pay a little more attention to the different models. A little bit of unfamiliar territory for me.

Good point, I think too many people don’t realize blackface amps aren’t just clean machines and one of the reasons the Deluxe is so popular is because it breaks up earlier than some of the more powerful blackface amps.
It doesn’t get used as much as it should these days, but my 70s SFDR is INCREDIBLE at rehearsal volume. It sits right at the early breakup point where the compression and juice is there, and then it cleans up into such a perfect responsive clean tone. You can cover a ton of ground just straight in.

Every guitar player can appreciate a good Deluxe.

It's an unpopular beast of an amp, but I like the cleans that my "Evil" 1994 model Twin Amp gives me. I've always associated these tones with the term "Fender clean sound".
Ymmv tho

I have been a Fender amp guy for many years. I have a 65 reissue Twin, Hot Rod Deluxe and a hand wired Vibrolux Reverb (Marsh, The Springfield). I love these amps for their clean tones and they all take pedals very well. I find it hard to get the real deal clean Fender tones from a modeler. The closest I have gotten it is to profile my own amps with my Kemper. I still plug into the amps when I play though.

I have a 76 Vibrolux Reverb. It is outstanding and does perfect Fender Cleans in every way. Cant imagine needing anything else.
If it’s good enough for Roy…

He has a silverface Vibrolux turned around backwards over behind the stage there. Sounds incredible.

Last edited:
Vibrolux Reverb is kind of the Fender grail, but it’s loud and heavy. For some reason most people don’t wanna admit that they don’t need more than a black or silver Princeton for the kind of gigs they’re doing (run two in stereo for larger theaters). They’re incredible holy grail tone machines for cleans and edge of breakup. And a great version of a black or silver Vibro Champ is an amazing clean home/recording amp. And yes I love the fat, zingy cleans from a Dumble clone through an EV12L but even using the tube effects loop as a master, the fifty watt is too loud for most clubs, even at like zero on the dial. Plus, with the bigger Fenders and Dumble clones, while they can sound epic at low volumes, it feels so good to push them, addictive even, and you get into unsafe ear territory very quickly, or at least I do. On the other hand there are some great Kemper profiles of Princetons and Deluxes at clean sweet spots that are amazing for musical contexts where the amps themselves might’ve been a bit challenged (Princetons to quiet, Deluxes on four or five too loud).

Other great “idealized” blackface references: Carr S6, Tone King Imperial, Red Plate BlackVerb .. these amps sound and feel kind of more like what many of us think we want even though the way that those kind of skinny Fender tones work on records is exactly what’s needed. Bit of compression eq boost and it’s amazing .. or a 335 with just compression and eq …

Here’s another good Brent Mason example. I think this is a Tone Master DR

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:
Back