Best Tele type guitars for a back up?

cragginshred

Roadie
My Anderson T icon has become my #1 live and my other Andersons have humbuckers so I need a back up to the Tele. Leaning toward a cheaper Tele like the Fender player series or Sire or??
Then I would plan to put a quality pup in it. Suggestions for less than 1g?

Not sure what the neck profile is on the Anderson, but if its thin - try to find a nice used 60s Baja Tele. If its a fatty you're after, check out the 50's and/or original Baja Tele. The Baja was designed in Corona, but built in Ensenada, and I think they might have used some US parts as well. Anyway, it was the best sleeper Tele I've ever had.

My first thought was also the Baja!

Unless 22 frets is necessary I think they’re the best Tele around for that price. And the pickups that came in them are pretty good, you might find you don’t need to bother changing them

Why are the Baja's no longer made and what makes them better than the standard MIM player tele's? Just curious
I'm looking at a couple now used

Why are the Baja's no longer made and what makes them better than the standard MIM player tele's? Just curious
I'm looking at a couple now used

They were designed by custom shop builders so they just had a really nice and unique set of features.

I was once about to buy a MIM Player Tele as a backup and a guy at the store told me I should check out the Baja. I did and it was no contest. The Baja felt and sounded so much better than the Player.

When Fender changed around all their series the Baja sort of became the Vintera Modified Telecasters. I haven’t had a chance to play one of those to see how similar they are to the old Baja

Back