Beato Interviews Robert DeLeo

I didn’t realize he also wrote some of the guitar parts too. Always assumed he was just a badass bass player.

He basically wrote all their hit songs.

Another fun fact, he worked with Shawn Tubbs way back in the day I think at a Mesa Boogie store in Hollywood. This was before they got big, and when they started to blow up, he recruited Shawn to play guitar on their MTV Unplugged spot.

If you haven't, check his interviews with Butch Vig and with Billy Corgan. Honestly I haven't even gotten through his backlog of interviews, but he has been doing great work. He's really knowledgeable and supportive, and that seems to really bring out more in the interviews.

Beato gets a lot of flak and I get it, I just don’t watch the videos that don’t appeal to me. He’s got enough musical/production knowledge that goes a long way in those interviews and hits on a lot of questions musicians aren’t normally asked, or he’ll go deeper into a topic that’s generally only surface level with others. I haven’t seen one interview I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed.

Beato gets a lot of flak and I get it, I just don’t watch the videos that don’t appeal to me. He’s got enough musical/production knowledge that goes a long way in those interviews and hits on a lot of questions musicians aren’t normally asked, or he’ll go deeper into a topic that’s generally only surface level with others. I haven’t seen one interview I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed.
Is he the Glen Fricker for older people? :whistle

Is he the Glen Fricker for older people? :whistle

YES!!!!

Any time Beato releases a video b*tching about YouTube there’s a 15-page thread at TheOtherPlace ripping him apart for being a grifting YouTube personality with nothing of real value to offer people. :rofl

”He’s not teaching anything new, you can find that information anywhere”

I was not aware in order to teach, one had to come up with their own music theory. Entrance fee is STEEP these days!

My understanding is he wants to veer more towards Musicologist/Historian and is intent on
cataloging a bunch of interviews and knowledge before the source of it all dies.

YES!!!!

Any time Beato releases a video b*tching about YouTube there’s a 15-page thread at TheOtherPlace ripping him apart for being a grifting YouTube personality with nothing of real value to offer people. :rofl

”He’s not teaching anything new, you can find that information anywhere”

I was not aware in order to teach, one had to come up with their own music theory. Entrance fee is STEEP these days!

I know, right!! I always seem to find out something new on his videos. Over at TOP, it's as if half are so jealous of him and the other half cant get over themselves to admit he does bring value to the table.

If you haven't, check his interviews with Butch Vig and with Billy Corgan. Honestly I haven't even gotten through his backlog of interviews, but he has been doing great work. He's really knowledgeable and supportive, and that seems to really bring out more in the interviews.

Agreed. I think the musicians he interviews appreciate doing an interview with someone who understands the production, theory, and songwriting side of the music. These are really good interviews, even if you’re not a big fan of the artist he is speaking with.

Thanks for the recos! I'm a Beato fan. I know he catches flack, but I appreciate his passion. Love how he talks mid-level theory that helps a guy like me learn more without it being WAAAAY over my head and not minimizing awesome shit. And he's introduced me to the awesomeness of some tunes I thought were kinda bland :)

I'll check out Butch Vig next. I know Billy / Pumpkins are talented, but I never got into them... And I'm a Chicagoan and 48 so should be in wheelhouse, LOL! Thanks again

Back