Bass tones that don't sound like Darkglass bullshit

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
I'm kinda fucking sick of every other bassist sounding like a knock-off Darkglass promo video tbh.

What tracks set your panties on fire for bass tones? Here is my opening gambit:

It is rock dub-reggae, and I farkin' heart the shit out of it.

While I do wish there were a bit more balls to the bass tone, it works for this mix and I suspect the balance between all the shit he’s doing with chords needs that extra clarity. Just a Warwick into an Ampeg.

The first time I heard Mudvayne I laughed because “Dig” is so over the top, then I was pulling into my driveway one night and I heard the chorus in “Death Blooms”, when I heard that bass line I stopped dead before reaching the parking spot and just listened.

Doesn't harm everybody involved is as funky as it gets... (and even if it's about the bass, make sure to not skip the Rhodes solo and Alphonse Mouzon going completely wild on drums).

No comments needed. Jamerson.

Pretty much every single thing of these guys can be taken as an example for the most tasty basslines and sound ever (too bad there's all the Verdine White drama...).

And do I really have to post "Good Times"? Yes, I do!

The Darkglass makers don't know any such music even exists.

On the rock side of things, I love pretty much all bass sounds the Foo Fighters are coming up with. Thick and juicy, yet defined and not conflicting with the guitars.

Last edited:
Get out yer 8 and 12 string Basses! :banana

Saw them a few times in the late 80's and early 90's and his live tone was pure thundering bliss!

I seem to recall him saying he had to sell all of his 8 and 12 strings in a money pinch. :idk

Back