Anybody Here Have Scalloped Frets?

Thanks.
The set neck was produced by Fender Japan in 1997 (ST-145RB) and was available for 3 years, so I believe there were produced several more than just a few.
But a few were built at Fender Custom Shop. Might be those you mean.

I haven’t really understood this signature model, as Blackmore never had, or used a set neck. He glued the necks to the bodies.
Hi - I just came across this thread a few weeks back.

The ST-145RB was indeed scalloped but had a standard bolt-on neck. In excess of 500 of these were produced in Japan only from 1997 to 2001.

The ST-175RB was the 'set neck' version with a glued on neck. The join was finished with the vintage white paint to create a smooth seamless join. This guitar was again produced in Japan only from 1997 to 2001 and it is thought around 50 were made. The scalloping was light, similar to the ST-145.

A third set neck guitar was made in the USA Custom Shop. This Ritchie Blackmore Custom Artist Series was made between 2001 and 2005. Around 30 were made and there was an additional option to have the guitar Roland ready. The scalloping on the neck was more aggressive than the Japanese versions. These guitars had only 2 lace sensor pickups.

Late to the party, but I will add the one thing I discovered I don’t like is a half scalloped neck. The transition between the two feels weird and it’s terrible if you’re playing in a key that tends to overlap the two like Eb or F.

Late to the party, but I will add the one thing I discovered I don’t like is a half scalloped neck. The transition between the two feels weird and it’s terrible if you’re playing in a key that tends to overlap the two like Eb or F.

I'm with you there - but once it's done gradually, it's all fine. Played a custom built guitar where the scalloping was starting very lightly somewhere around the 7th fret or so, it would then gradually get more. That guitar played like butter. But it possibly would've played like that without the scalloping as well, just one of the best playable guitars I ever had my hands on (at around €7k it wasn't in my league, though), so it's not exactly a role model for scalloped necks.

I still have home grown scalloped standard Strat neck (/w reversed headstock) hanging around somewhere, no idea whether it'd be worth to restore it to playing condition and mount it somewhere. Maybe I should just do so...

I'm with you there - but once it's done gradually, it's all fine. Played a custom built guitar where the scalloping was starting very lightly somewhere around the 7th fret or so, it would then gradually get more. That guitar played like butter. But it possibly would've played like that without the scalloping as well, just one of the best playable guitars I ever had my hands on (at around €7k it wasn't in my league, though), so it's not exactly a role model for scalloped necks.

I still have home grown scalloped standard Strat neck (/w reversed headstock) hanging around somewhere, no idea whether it'd be worth to restore it to playing condition and mount it somewhere. Maybe I should just do so...

Yeah, I could see that working well. I’ve never played one like that before!

The answer to it not feeling weird is big frets too. This is a good idea anyway because a refret is difficult if the scallops go close to the frets

IMG_1830.jpeg

Refret too;
IMG_1837.jpeg

Also stainless so you don’t need to do it again.

Last edited:
Got one from Suhr, sonic blue strat, scalloped rosewood neck, it was amazing. Then my house flooded, it's gone, long story...

Good thing insurance paid for it... ordered the very same specs.

Back