Any jam fans?

Been doing the jamband scene for about 25 years, seen many come and go. If we're staying away from the big 2, then I would just add these to SotS's stellar list as I think folks here might dig them:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - these guys are out there and their style is all over the map, but they bring quite a show.
Trucks and Tedeschi Band - if you like slide guitar, you've probably heard of Derek Trucks, but I was really impressed by the whole band when I saw them last year, great horn section as well.

Not a fan of Phish, the Dead, or Umphrey's but Matt Jalbert of Tauk has been a guitar hero of mine for awhile now.

Someone else mentioned STS9 and I'm kind of a fan of them but I haven't really jumped into their lengthy catalog. Along those lines of electronic influenced music is Yak Attack from Portland, OR. They opened for Tauk during one of Tauk's Pacific Northwest swings a number of years ago and I've been a fan of theirs ever since (I'm *really* binging on them right now)

Both bands I mentioned have stuff on the Live Music Archive for free (taped by fans) or up on Nugs.net where the bands have uploaded soundboard recordings.

My ex was a big fruition fan, the keyboard player of yak attack was an OG member waaay back. Fwiw yak attack is way cooler than fruition imo

I was huge into jam bands in college. Still listen to the dead and phish a lot but haven't kept up with the newer bands as much.

Was at the first two Bonnaroos. Never will forget late night sets from umphreys, moe, Karl Densons tiny universe was intense. Ween was great too, I've seen them several times. I like the electronic bands like sound tribe sector 9 and disco biscuits too.

Saw widespread panic and string cheese a lot, Phil and friends too.

Used to go to a lot a festivals too. Good times.

I like the Dead and Phish, and I was obsessed with DMB and still really love their earlier stuff.

My biggest experience was playing in jam bands though. That’s where it’s at.

Back in college my roommate and I connected with three other guys; we were all music students there and all loved DMB. One guy had a house and we would jam in his basement all night long. Hours and hours of improvised jamming.

My roommate and I were in a corner dorm room made for 3 so there was enough room for us to set up in there. During the day we’d open all the windows and start jamming and a bunch of people would come up and hang with us and request DMB songs. We got a reputation for being able to play any DMB song anyone called out, and we would just jam on them forever.

Good good times

These guys are my favorite Denver band right now. I think they're gonna be blowing up by the end of the year. They just got added to Nugs too.

You can spot me in this video, but I probably blend in with all the other white guys with dreads :rofl

Some of my favourite things about the Jam Band Scene. Granted I only did it for a few months
and was not part of that scene prior, or since.

There is every reason in the world "Jam" is the first word used to describe the genre. you must jam.
Improvisation is not only encouraged, but kind of required. No one wants you to play note-for-note.
Pretty much everyone there is "along for the ride" and wants to go someplace that they have not been
before and wants you as a band to take them there.

It is a super open and accepting community. Not that other genres are not. Just something I noticed.
Very vibey. Kind of all about the vibing. Lots of eyes closed. :LOL:

Very 420 friendly. Love Nature. Lots of camping. Showers are not the norm. Just toss on some more
Patchouli. Not saying Jam Banders are "dirty," but a weekend Festival where there are holes dug in the
Earth.... or a lineup of 5 gallon buckets.... well, you can only imagine. One Festival (Rainbow Tribe?) there
was some sickness that broke out. Bad sanitation and lots of rain that weekend made for a not so fun
time. :(

I love the way creativity and spontaneity are encouraged in the Jam Band scene. Some other scenes are
FAR JUDGIER and way more strict about what you can play and how you play it.

Some of my favourite things about the Jam Band Scene. Granted I only did it for a few months
and was not part of that scene prior, or since.

There is every reason in the world "Jam" is the first word used to describe the genre. you must jam.
Improvisation is not only encouraged, but kind of required. No one wants you to play note-for-note.
Pretty much everyone there is "along for the ride" and wants to go someplace that they have not been
before and wants you as a band to take them there.

It is a super open and accepting community. Not that other genres are not. Just something I noticed.
Very vibey. Kind of all about the vibing. Lots of eyes closed. :LOL:

Very 420 friendly. Love Nature. Lots of camping. Showers are not the norm. Just toss on some more
Patchouli. Not saying Jam Banders are "dirty," but a weekend Festival where there are holes dug in the
Earth.... or a lineup of 5 gallon buckets.... well, you can only imagine. One Festival (Rainbow Tribe?) there
was some sickness that broke out. Bad sanitation and lots of rain that weekend made for a not so fun
time. :(

I love the way creativity and spontaneity are encouraged in the Jam Band scene. Some other scenes are
FAR JUDGIER and way more strict about what you can play and how you play it.

Love the scene, and it's huge in colorado

My band is definitely a jam band and in that scene, although being instrumental we still have a few toes dipped in the metal scene lol

These guys have been picking up a lot traction lately. They've got a cool blend of metal/prog/electronic going on. You can regularly catch them doing Slayer and Primus covers

They opened for UM at red rocks last year (I was at this show)

They've come along way. 5ish years ago was their first time in CO and they were playing 15 minute mini sets while the main stage changed over at Beanstalk.

You play guitar in any kind of Jam Band outfit and chicken-necking is required. Not optional. :LOL:

mona lisa hipster GIF

Saw the disco biscuits for the first time in 6 or so years this past weekend. Excellent show, the rumors are true that they are on fire right now

Have loved this scene since 1994. Big deadhead, loved Phish til a point, ABB, and loving TTB!!

Umphrees... So talented. Billy Strings is impressive and so is Goose. I'm not hooked yet but enjoying it!

Blues Traveler is an amazing jam-lite band if you can handle the ear fatigue of a harp being the lead instrument. In fact, their more recent album of Traveler's Blues is just fucking amazing.

Have loved this scene since 1994. Big deadhead, loved Phish til a point, ABB, and loving TTB!!

Umphrees... So talented. Billy Strings is impressive and so is Goose. I'm not hooked yet but enjoying it!

Blues Traveler is an amazing jam-lite band if you can handle the ear fatigue of a harp being the lead instrument. In fact, their more recent album of Traveler's Blues is just f*****g amazing.

Counting down the days til UMrocks

Never caught Blues traveler live. Four was playing in my house all through out my child hood though lol. I'm considering going to their annual 4th of July show at red rocks this year, Railroad Earth is playing with them this year

Counting down the days til UMrocks

Never caught Blues traveler live. Four was playing in my house all through out my child hood though lol. I'm considering going to their annual 4th of July show at red rocks this year, Railroad Earth is playing with them this year

Have fun! UM does indeed rock! I went to college with their drummer Kris Myers who was always a very nice guy when we crossed paths. He happened to be at (brought to maybe) a bar gig of mine maybe 15 years or so ago in a club in Chicago and his buddy was partying hard and was like "you should let my buddy drum, he's the greatest" (we all know that guy) and I turn to him to him and we both remembered each other and shared pleasantries and he said we sounded good and he was having fun and denied any desire to hop up... (what a compliment and class!) Asked him what he was up to and then he said playing with UM. I was shocked and happy for him. I knew he was super talented back in the day and nice to see that pay off and continue!

BT... Right? Four was a staple album in my college years (93-97) then they fell of my radar with my GD obsession (LOL!). And recently their album Traveler's Blues dropped and spun it on Spotify and spin it in its entirety every couple weeks! Then started digging back thru their catalog for more goodness :)

Back