Any Clutch fans here?

I saw these guys with Sepultura (Chaos AD) and Fear Factory (Soul of a New Machine). It was on the Transnational Speedway tour. BRUTAL. One of the best concert lineups I saw at just the right time in each of these band's lives.

I saw these guys with Sepultura (Chaos AD) and Fear Factory (Soul of a New Machine). It was on the Transnational Speedway tour. BRUTAL. One of the best concert lineups I saw at just the right time in each of these band's lives.
Wow - that’s awesome. Surprisingly, I’ve never seen them in concert yet. Just has never worked out (plus, my wife’s not a big fan of the harder rock stuff)…

Wow - that’s awesome. Surprisingly, I’ve never seen them in concert yet. Just has never worked out (plus, my wife’s not a big fan of the harder rock stuff)…
I mainly like that album and maybe the one after? They got more jammy and less abrasive than I tend to like. But I LOVE the fact that they have been able to do what they do all these years without having to bend to anyone else's will other than their own. That's awesome.

I dig ‘em and while you generally always know what you’re going to get with a Clutch album, there’s still some variation in there to not be too one-dimensional. Saw them in Boston in the 00’s, I mostly remember arguing with my best friend over why he punched me in the balls in the middle of their set. We were both shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitfaced; hahahaha the Middle East in Boston has two bars, facing each other, it’s the only time I’ve ever been cut off at a bar before, so I just went to the opposite bar and started drinking there. I did have a pitcher of beer taken away from me one other time, but only because I was drinking straight out of it and wouldn’t use a cup. :rofl

Any recs of a good place to start with Clutch? Any live albums? I've been told that they're really a band to see live
I'm not like a super super fan, so I'm not sure about their live albums. I'll have to look into that. Been mostly into studio albums.

For those, I would start with:
- Blast Tyrant
- Robot Hive/Exodus
- Then maybe Clutch or Earth Rocker or Elephant Riders next?

Clutch is unapologetic dad rock. It's big and cheesy and sometimes it's just what you need.

I like their new stuff better than the older stuff but that might be because it's what I started with. Their albums usually have a few great riffs and at least one song where I find the lyrics amusing, which is not a bad success rate at all.

The new album is pretty good but it's no Psychic Warfare

They’re great musicians that don’t take themselves too seriously. Not every album is awesome from start to finish, but there’s always several songs that I really dig. And I like how they continue to sound like themselves, but it doesn’t get old / repetitive (for me).

I've added my first Clutch record (Blast Tyrant) to my discography few days ago.
Nice addition but I'm not really impressed. I'll dig more into their discography.

I've added my first Clutch record (Blast Tyrant) to my discography few days ago.
Nice addition but I'm not really impressed. I'll dig more into their discography.
YMMV of course. No biggie.

If you want to check out a more recent album - Psychic Warfare is one I failed to mention above.

Great show last night. They killed it. Neil’s vocals on point. Tim’s playing spot on. iPhone clips never do it justice but here are a couple anyway…

After JD Pinkus (from Butthole Surfers, Honkey, and the Melvins) did his solo set (exclusively on Banjo, which was surprisingly cool but weird), Helmet took the stage. They were heavy (all Fryettes) and damn they were LOUD. My friend’s phone was measuring 94 dB. Loudest I’ve been to since Black Label Society.

Here’s a clip of clutch with Red Alert (Boss Metal Zone). How can you not like a band that writes a song about the Boss Metal Zone, amirite!?
:headbang

Encore was The Mob Goes Wild and Electric Worry. Here’s a short clip Of Mob Goes Wild.

Between Helmet and Clutch was Quicksand. I’d never heard them before. They were pretty good as well, and the singer and some of the songs had kind of a Jane’s Addiction vibe to them.

Anyway - all in all - great time seeing some live music. And seeing Clutch in person for the first time (finally). Good to see these 50 year olds still rocking hard!!

That’s a hell of a lineup.

Always catches me off guard seeing Helmet playing and nobody crowd surfing. Guess we have jobs to get back to fully intact on Monday mornings. lol

That’s a hell of a lineup.

Always catches me off guard seeing Helmet playing and nobody crowd surfing. Guess we have jobs to get back to fully intact on Monday mornings. lol
Haha - exactly. The crowd was definitely older these days. I’m old and to the point where I’d rather pay for balcony seats than chance getting bruised up in the pit, LOL.

Back