An MIR analysis of real amp versus captures and profiles

BTW, I'd like to point something out:
We are better at detecting differences in lower frequencies than higher frequencies.

Since this is true, it means it is even more important than I ever considered, to make sure you get the low frequencies correct when designing these algorithms.

There is a bit of a fallacy lurking around that the guitar is a mid-range instrument. It isn't. It's a broadband shotgun of noise, shaped by filters. That needs to be the mentality when going into amp modelling and capturing, IMHO.

While I do understand why people get bored by graphs, for the enginerds among us, this stuff is very interesting. If not for hair-splitting analyses and continual refinements to existing methods, we’d still be at the POD bean.

Kudos to IK. Their competition was experienced and formidable, but they managed to equal or better them with TONEX.

I like seeing the plots but I ultimately find the idea of profiles/captures unappealing because it's a bigger rabbit hole than IRs. Unless you have gear you want to profile yourself, it seems like a daunting task to consistently find good captures.

I like seeing the plots but I ultimately find the idea of profiles/captures unappealing because it's a bigger rabbit hole than IRs. Unless you have gear you want to profile yourself, it seems like a daunting task to consistently find good captures.
Couldn't agree more. I had spent so much on profile packs....more so than IRs

That was my experience with the QC. It was just so easy to setup a model, that going capture hunting became somewhat counterproductive if you just wanted to, ya know, play guitar. The model count on the device was pretty small, so I got the appeal of looking for new content, but I just had to cycle through so many poorly made captures, or caps I wanted to tweak beyond their capability, that it became a waste of time.

True! I wonder what their thoughts are on the topic
CK below
samuel l jackson idgaf GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Back