Amp Trade: Worth it?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
A buddy of mine has a Marshall DSL100HR in like new shape with the 6 button. He's looking to downsize so I told him I'd trade my DSL40c and Katana MKII head straight up for it. Both of mine are in mint shape, have the foot controller and the 40c has a nice cover also.

What do you think? Was I crazy to make the offer? He wants to think on it til we meet up this weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah that seems pretty fair. Prices are pretty close if everything's in good shape. If he likes the DSL40C he can sell the Katana for $200-250.

Somewhat off topic, but I sold a DSL40C for $300 about a couple years ago because it had a bad preamp tube and I didn't know any better. I had traded a Gibson LP Junior Tribute for it which was going for about $500 used at the time. Today I saw a used Gibson LP Special Tribute for $1000! That's more than they were new just a couple years ago. Used DSL40C's are going for $500 and climbing. Gear prices are nuts.

Yeah that seems pretty fair. Prices are pretty close if everything's in good shape. If he likes the DSL40C he can sell the Katana for $200-250.

Somewhat off topic, but I sold a DSL40C for $300 about a couple years ago because it had a bad preamp tube and I didn't know any better. I had traded a Gibson LP Junior Tribute for it which was going for about $500 used at the time. Today I saw a used Gibson LP Special Tribute for $1000! That's more than they were new just a couple years ago. Used DSL40C's are going for $500 and climbing. Gear prices are nuts.

Yeah they are all over the place right now. 500-750 for a used DSL40c. Very common amp so the 500 is more accurate I would think. Mine also has the stock 70/80 so that also keeps the price down a little. It's a great amp especially after putting a 12AT7 in V2. Really calmed that ultra channel down and made it a lot more usable. I am clean out of 100w tube heads so I figured I'd take a stab to see if he'd bite.

I don’t think that would be something I’d do. But what I would do is put a V30 or a Creamback in the DSL40…
Oh Yeah GIF

Back