Amp models for ‘90s gig?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I’ve got some shows coming up later this year that are all ‘90s music and I’m trying to decide what amp models to use. It’s a pretty good variety of top 40 stuff:

No Doubt, The Verve, Blur, Melissa Ethridge, Jewel, *NSYNC, TLC, Garbage, Boyz II Men, Ace of Bass, Counting Crows and a lot more.

I’m thinking about what amps best exemplify that era…

My first thought was CA3+ for clean, Matchless for drive, JCM800 for distortion.

Or maybe just Mark IV for everything.

What would you use? What amp models best represent the era?

Last edited:
I'd definitely say a matchless and a few choice pedals will cover all the stuff you listed. Throw in the Marshall for fun and you're definitely set, especially if you go wet/dry with the Marshall and matchless.

Probably a Fender Bassman and a bunch of pedals into it like Klon, Boss Od, screamer
Nobles
A Marshall 2203 again with some drives
Clean a JC120 or Matchless

Fender-ish clean, Marshall-ish dirt (set to rather low gain so you can add drives), something like an RC Booster to add more gain to either of them, assortment of 2-3 additional drive types for variety. An option to boost things (ideally pre and post).
In other words: The typical things covering everything anyway.

Last edited:
Saw the Title and thought it was a gig at the old age home :columbo
This is my favorite model for the 90s audience
old_amps.jpg

In the spirit of the decade I’m gonna go Matchless for all the Vox stuff. Feels right for ‘90s.

The No Doubt stuff is really wanting a Marshall. Probably the 2204.

The R&B stuff is wanting something more “modern clean” though. Maybe Mark IV R1…

Still tempted to do all Mark IV…

It’s reading more “90’s session player” than “90’s rock band” to me with all the stuff like TLC, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Maybe I’ll do all rack: Tri-Axis, JMP-1, CA3+

In the spirit of the decade I’m gonna go Matchless for all the Vox stuff. Feels right for ‘90s.

The R&B stuff is wanting something more “modern clean” though. Maybe Mark IV R1…

It’s reading more “90’s session player” than “90’s rock band” to me with all the stuff like TLC, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Actually the rack option is a good one to
CAE pre looks of those guys are session players and they have racks I bet

For a cover gig? I’d get a Kemper Floor thingy or Fractal FM3 and call it a day.

Or if I’d use amps I’d go with my Blonde Deluxe or 1974 TMB thing and a small pedal board.

Or…UAFX Lion and Deluxe

I recorded more of these onto notable 90's albums than I could have possibly believed, in so many different styles given that I don't think I've seen one of them in like 20 years or more

scared to say it

but

Peavey Classic 50

GASP!

I recorded more of these onto notable 90's albums than I could have possibly believed, in so many different styles given that I don't think I've seen one of them in like 20 years or more

scared to say it

but

Peavey Classic 50

GASP!
I had one of those in 93 lol

For a cover gig? I’d get a Kemper Floor thingy or Fractal FM3 and call it a day.

Or if I’d use amps I’d go with my Blonde Deluxe or 1974 TMB thing and a small pedal board.

Or…UAFX Lion and Deluxe

I’m going to probably use a Fractal. I like to pick out amp models that match the vibe of the show

scared to say it

but

Peavey Classic 50

GASP!

I don’t doubt it! Those were everywhere

I remember the Mesa Mark IV being highly coveted in the 90’s, and if you looked you could find a good used Twin Reverb for $400. For dirt people would stack 2 tube screamers. Then the OCD became the big thing. I can’t remember if that was the late 90’s or early 00’s though.

I’m going to probably use a Fractal. I like to pick out amp models that match the vibe of the show
Did I miss something Met? thought you were Modeler free?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Edit Never mind looks like I did miss something :D
Saw you just got a FM9 MKII turbo OD special

:chef

Last edited:
Did I miss something Met? thought you were Modeler free?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Edit Never mind looks like I did miss something :D
Saw you just got a FM9 MKII turbo OD special

:chef

Gigs started piling up and I had to get something. I was all set on going with an amp, but once the gigs started coming in and I saw the FM9 was available I knew right away it was the right choice

Back