Also NAIDs

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
I have NAIDs.

1720202808922.png

Sure thing. What would you like to know??

Um.. I mean I don't know what I might want to know, but don't yet know? :rofl

But what drew you to these particular items of hardware, and what are you enjoying about them? I think you said elsewhere that you were being more creative and writing more with some of this new hardware, rather than keeping it all ITB.

I've been looking at that Elektron on and off, but of course that can all be done with software. I haven't worked with step programming, sampling and sequencing hardware since the 1990s but I'm curious about it again. You've peaked my interest.

And then the Iridium. I've not really looked at that before. Not expecting an essay here, but what are the key highlights for you? You never know, I might also like what you like.

Um.. I mean I don't know what I might want to know, but don't yet know? :rofl

But what drew you to these particular items of hardware, and what are you enjoying about them? I think you said elsewhere that you were being more creative and writing more with some of this new hardware, rather than keeping it all ITB.

I've been looking at that Elektron on and off, but of course that can all be done with software. I haven't worked with step programming, sampling and sequencing hardware since the 1990s but I'm curious about it again. You've peaked my interest.

And then the Iridium. I've not really looked at that before. Not expecting an essay here, but what are the key highlights for you? You never know, I might also like what you like.

It's a shame the Iridium is hidden behind me. Bad camera angle. But it is pretty damn amazing.

Key highlights - two layers, can be used as a split setup or layered setup. Each layer has 3 oscillators, with 5 modes. Built in sequencing, arpeggiator, built in effects. It sounds fantastic.

Elektron - all the voices and drums from the above video are just the Digitakt. I want to sell this one and get the V2 I think!

I'm finding with just a few pieces of hardware I can be a lot more creative than having the entire Arturia and Native Instruments suites sat here.

Do you hear any differences in terms of tone or noise?
Yes.

UFXII has lower monitoring noise than the Quantum did. Hi-Z inputs are cleaner sounding to me, and retain more of the natural signal of the guitar.

Quantum and Discrete 8 had 3.2ms round trip latency.
UFXII has 4ms. I think I can live with that difference !!

TotalMix is a dream to use. If you get your head around it, it makes perfect sense.

Axe3 is hooked up via AES/EBU, which means I can plug into my UFXII or Neve DI... route the signal to the Axe3 with no latency.... and capture the amp output as well as the DI at the same time. Standard stuff really, but it just works really well. The Quantum couldn't do things like this because of the lack of built in mixer facilities; which is how they got their thunderbolt latency so low.

I've got the ARC controller too:
1720634046662.png

For vocal recording workflow, this is fucking killer.

- Stand at vocal mic. Can't hear any vocals through monitors or headphones.
- Hit snapshot 2. Monitors mute. Headphones go active. I can hear the track and the live microphone.
- Record a pass. Monitoring through TotalMix, not the DAW.
- Hit snapshot 1 again. Can now hear the music through the monitors, but not the vocals.
- Listen to the take. Oh fuck. I can't sing. Rinse and repeat.

It works really really well. As close to an analog console workflow as you're gonna get with a single audio interface and no mixing desk.

Back