Alex Cab IRs

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Thought I'd give this its own formal thread here on TGF.

I've spent a lot of time dicking around with IR creation and over the past couple of years have had great fun with pink noise and some EQ to get there. Then came tone matching iso tracks, then a reference mic on what little cabs I owned, followed by separating the frequency spectrum out into 40+ different bands -- exhausting the limit in a single instance of Pro-Q 3 -- metering the frequency gains in my listening position and taking hours to pop out an IR that sounds pretty damn close to what I wanted.

Some folks asked me to share some of my IRs and I obliged, uploading a bunch of the more useful ones -- and most of them still hold up -- some of them more like crazy experiments that never stuck and a good handful of IRs that I still use up to this day.

I haven't updated this since June of 2022 but after getting this Peavey 2x12 I couldn't wait to get cracking so here's the link for anyone who wants to check out some free IRs created by yours truly.

If you want to copy/paste the link you can use bit.ly/alexcab

Last edited:
Those are quite detailed, l see a lot of narrow notching, I know you probably invested many hours on each IR tweaking and re-tweaking.
I also like custom flat sounding IRs with a slight 4x12+British+SM57 coloration since I am so used to hearing that.
My process looks like this using FreeformEqualizer where I can add infinite amount of nodes or use free draw mode.

Custom IR.png

Last edited:
This is a dumb question.

When someone says a "null IR"; is that a an audio flat line?

Those are quite detailed, l see a lot of narrow notching, I know you probably invested many hours on each IR tweaking and re-tweaking.
I also like custom flat sounding IRs with a slight 4x12+British+SM57 coloration since I am so used to hearing that.
My process looks like this using FreeformEqualizer where I can add infinite amount of nodes or use free draw mode.

View attachment 4562
Yes, I spent a lot of lockdown EQing, playing, EQing, listening, playing, EQing. Plenty of scrapped projects, too.

This is a dumb question.

When someone says a "null IR"; is that a an audio flat line?
Yes, basically Bypass with the IR block enabled.
If your Modeler, Load Box or Amp-Out doesn't allow you to disable the IR you can put a flat/null IR in one of the slots.

Pretty much. My Nu-X Mighty Plug didn't have a "no cab" option

Back