Added some bass to my TGFWC1 clip. Too much?

JT

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So I added some faux bass to my 1st weekly challenge. I sent this to my Trusted AdvisorTM but I'll throw it up here as well. Haven't decided if it's an improvement :unsure:

Before:

After:

I know it's not real and the levels are off between the two clips; but just wondering if this will be "good enough" or if I'll need to buy that bass I don't actually need after all :bag

V3 is still not quite there (imo) but better than without bass at all, it needed some mastering.

JT if you don't mind, I tried to master your track to sound more like a "modern" production.
Watching the average response I did a lot of frequency balancing, multiband compression (for the kick), and some limiting to even+glue things out wile not crushing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and remix, James! I run Ozone on the master and some buss eq for the stringed instruments. I am not sure how to really hop things to that next level. What did you use to blow it up bigger on your end?

or if I'll need to buy that bass I don't actually need after all

EZBass sir. Record a direct track of guitar, drop it in and it converts it to bass midi, you can use their bass or run it thru whatever digital thing you have lately and do it that way.

Cheaper and you don’t have to play bass lol

EZBass sir. Record a direct track of guitar, drop it in and it converts it to bass midi, you can use their bass or run it thru whatever digital thing you have lately and do it that way.

Cheaper and you don’t have to play bass lol
That's.......super cool. I wonder if they have a trial?

It’s Toontrack, of course they do.

Here ya go:

Thank you. I wonder how it would compare to just using the GK pickup and bass modeling in my guitar synth since it's already paid for :unsure: (not that that's ever stopped me)

Thank you. I wonder how it would compare to just using the GK pickup and bass modeling in my guitar synth since it's already paid for :unsure: (not that that's ever stopped me)

Grab the trial and compare. Can’t remember how much it is, but they run sales all the time. It’s a timesaver for sure for recording.

Reactions: JT
You wouldn't be surprised if I told you modern mastering sounds the same because they follow the same average curve.
I found that an average curve with 4db Slope should be about flat between 40Hz and 3kHz with a gradual treble slope down from 3kHz on.

Here you can see 2020 Lamb of Good and 2008 In Flames share the same mastering curve, the albums are 12 years apart.
Your track required extreme correction to match that, that's after compressing below 90Hz (kick) so I can boost the very quiet "bass guitar".

Average Slope.png

This is so cool.

I spent a good portion of the last two days watching mastering master-classes on YouTube.

Lotta really smart people out there. But if you watch enough, you tend to see the same tricks over and over again.

Working with a stereo track then pull out individual parts is crazy. Didn’t know you could do it. Watched a dude do it yesterday who was equally amazed.

You wouldn't be surprised if I told you modern mastering sounds the same because they follow the same average curve.
I found that an average curve with 4db Slope should be about flat between 40Hz and 3kHz with a gradual treble slope down from 3kHz on.

Here you can see 2020 Lamb of Good and 2008 In Flames share the same mastering curve, the albums are 12 years apart.
Your track required extreme correction to match that, that's after compressing below 90Hz (kick) so I can boost the very quiet "bass guitar".

View attachment 3922
So did you just apply some sort of sonic maximizer in a vst EQ curve to my mix?

So did you just apply some sort of sonic maximizer in a vst EQ curve to my mix?

First I used a multi-band compressor (MDynamicMB) to compress only below 90Hz so I can boost this region and it will sound nice and even.

Then I manually EQ-ed your track so the frequency response is close to the other tracks.
I could otherwise use a flat 4db Slope pink noise with a treble roll off as a general curve reference.

Lastly I used a mastering limiter (MLimiterX) to bring the volume to 'modern' standards while re-adjust the EQ so I'm still on the curve.

The frequency analyzer (SPAN Plus) is always last in the chain so I can see what I'm doing.

DAW.png

JT V3 EQ.png

Fixed Curve.png

First I used a multi-band compressor (MDynamicMB) to compress only below 90Hz so I can boost this region and it will sound nice and even.

Then I manually EQ-ed your track so the frequency response is close to the other tracks.
I could otherwise use a flat 4db Slope pink noise with a treble roll off as a general curve reference.

Lastly I used a mastering limiter (MLimiterX) to bring the volume to 'modern' standards while re-adjust the EQ so I'm still on the curve.

The frequency analyzer (SPAN Plus) is always last in the chain so I can see what I'm doing.

View attachment 3926

View attachment 3927

View attachment 3928
My answer was the easier option :rofl Thanks for the mastering session \m/

After watching all these Youtubers… I actually know what you did! Thank you so much for sharing.

And I’m sure Turkey appreciates your work!

Back