A not quite as scientific as I'd like DAW CPU usage comparison

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
So I duplicated a mix I did in Reaper, as closely as I could in both Cubase Pro 13 and Studio One version 5.0 (which is the only version I have right now)

Now the song is fairly dense. A mixture of audio recordings, effects processing, and a VST instrument for drums. It is hopefully fairly typical of a songwriter session you'd come across. There are around 155 plugins. There is a selection of these across the entire project:
  • EZDrummer3
  • T-Racks 5 Black 76
  • T-Racks 5 Comprexxor
  • T-Racks 5 Saturator X
  • DMG Audio TrackComp
  • Line6 Helix Native
  • Fractal Audio Cab-Lab 3 or 4
  • Fabfilter Pro Q-3
  • Boz Big Clipper
  • ValhallaDSP Vintage Verb
  • ValhallaDSP Room
  • ValhallaDSP Delay
  • ValhallaDSP Supermassive
  • Izotope RX-7 De-esser

I also used whatever bog standard compressor came with each DAW, as well as whatever bog standard trim/mixtool utility type of attenuation plugin comes with them too.

In Reaper I used ReaTune for some vocals. In Cubase 13 Pro I used the built in VariAudio pitch correction. In Studio One I didn't pitch correct.

The track count is the same in all projects, and each track uses the same plugins and presets within the plugins. But the sessions aren't quite 1:1 because of some small differences like the pitch correction I mentioned. There's also differences in terms of the automation of effects in each DAW.

All DAW's were at 48kHz sample-rate, and a buffer size of 64.

In Reaper the audio thread priority is set to time critical, the thread priority is set to highest, with the default behaviour, and anticipative FX processing is enabled.

So here's the Reaper session:
FlgADdE.png

As you can see, I'm getting CPU usage around 35%, with the CPU running at 4.27GHz. I get very few audio dropouts, and can playback the project smoothly from start to finish. On the rare occasion I get audio dropouts, it tends to be within the first few seconds after hitting play.

Here is the Cubase 13 Pro session:
NNeyV4O.png

Now in Cubase, ASIOGUARD is enabled and set to low. I get a CPU usage of around 19% at 4.14GHz. However if I disable ASIOGUARD, the CPU goes up to 40%, but the audio output is extremely glitchy - very unusable without ASIOGUARD. I don't know why. I should also mention that the Steinberg power scheme is enabled. Disabling it makes no difference.

Here is the Studio One v5 session:
Krrj4cJ.png

I'm getting around 23% at 4.35GHz. Dropout protection is set to minimum. However if I set dropout protection to ANY of the other levels, then the project is unlistenable, with similar glitching as I get with Cubase. But at minimum, playback is very smooth and there are no concerns.

This isn't exactly a scientific test. But I was curious what my experience would be. Mostly because I cannot stand to look at any more crappy Reaper themes that simply don't (and indeed cannot) address the workflow issues I have with it.

I'd been working towards moving over to Cubase 13 for most of the year, but haven't done any large projects in it yet. So this was interesting. Another interesting thing to me was, I haven't used Studio One in anger since 2021 when I mixed my bands last album. But I launched it, and was zipping around and using the program without a care in the world - no confusion, no moments of forgetfulness, I still remembered exactly how to do everything. I think the workflow in Studio One is actually excellent. Really excellent. More excellent than excellent.

Anyway......

I don't fully understand what the differences are in playback engines between Reaper, Studio One, and Cubase 13. I find it very puzzling that in Cubase 13 I simply cannot disable ASIOGUARD without experiencing bad performance. But contrary to that, in Studio One, using "minimum" as my dropout protection setting yielded very good performance. But any other setting put me back into bad performance land. These two experiences don't exactly align - I don't understand why I get opposite experiences across these two DAW's.

I also don't fully understand what the Reaper equivalent of these settings would be, if indeed it exists at all.

On the whole, I'm yet to make a determination about which DAW offers me the best performance for my particular workflow.

My system specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard: Gigabyte b550 Vision-D (with Thunderbolt)
Drives: A selection of Samsung and Intel SSD drives, with two M2 drives also.
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4090 VENTUS 3X OC 24G
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4
Audio Interface: Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt
Audio Interface: Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Pro SC (WC'd and ADAT'd into the Quantum)

My GPU utilises the maximum power setting. Windows is setup to use the high performance power plan, with tweaks to ensure that USB selective suspend is disabled, and that the mininum and maximum processor states are 100%. I've also fully disabled c-states in my BIOS.

My machine is connected to the internet via ethernet. But I also sometimes share a hotspot with my laptop via WIFI. But this was turned off at the time of the tests (although the network device was not disabled)

I'm going to be replacing the two audio interfaces for an RME UFXII or UFXIII. So it's good to do these tests to establish a benchmark.

I'm curious what people think about this?

Do I dare ask what the workflow issue with reaper is? If you’re 100% committed to changing then fair enough, but if it’s squarely because of some workflow roadblock I’d say reaper has the best chance of figuring out some workaround (as opposed to other daws where it’s an easy yes/no answer)

Not saying reaper is perfect by any means and I can totally see why someone would move off it. I’ve just personally changed a bunch of things and like where mine is sitting.

I fired up studio one a few times and couldn’t even change the way the timeline worked with middle click and dragging or something… anyway I’m not trying to champion reaper but if it’s a workflow thing there could be a workaround

Do I dare ask what the workflow issue with reaper is? If you’re 100% committed to changing then fair enough, but if it’s squarely because of some workflow roadblock I’d say reaper has the best chance of figuring out some workaround (as opposed to other daws where it’s an easy yes/no answer)

Not saying reaper is perfect by any means and I can totally see why someone would move off it. I’ve just personally changed a bunch of things and like where mine is sitting.

I fired up studio one a few times and couldn’t even change the way the timeline worked with middle click and dragging or something… anyway I’m not trying to champion reaper but if it’s a workflow thing there could be a workaround
I'll post more later, but it isn't just workflow. It is also themes, colours, font sizes, and engine level stuff that you can't even change with theming or WALTER. I'm very au fait with all of that, and have been using Reaper on and off since 2008 or so. I've customized all the main key commands to match up with Studio One and Cubase. I even started a Studio One based theme.

But when you put the Cubase mixer next to the Reaper mixer... it isn't even close to be honest. The Cubase mixer is a joy to work with. The Reaper one is like wading through treacle - IMO.

I'll post more later, but it isn't just workflow. It is also themes, colours, font sizes, and engine level stuff that you can't even change with theming or WALTER. I'm very au fait with all of that, and have been using Reaper on and off since 2008 or so. I've customized all the main key commands to match up with Studio One and Cubase. I even started a Studio One based theme.

But when you put the Cubase mixer next to the Reaper mixer... it isn't even close to be honest. The Cubase mixer is a joy to work with. The Reaper one is like wading through treacle - IMO.
Yeah totally fair... theres a few things that would move me off reaper to S1 or Cubase but luckily those things havent negged away at me enough to move, So I get what you're talking about.

Also, a mild whinge about Reaper 7's default theme:

- No dB markings in the meters. Fail.
- No colour delineation in the meters. Fail.
- Most fonts are barely readable. Fail.
- Even when you increase the text brightness, it doesn't affect the arrange area, so your bar and beats don't brighten. Fail.
- Buttons constantly change position in very unintuitive ways when you resize panels. Fail.

It's like the person who designed it never records music and doesn't know what workflow actually means.
Facepalm smiley

I've not found a single theme in a decade that I'm happy to use without proviso. I even made my own Studio One theme, where I literally cloned S1 controls and buttons from scratch and implemented them in Reaper. I never got time to finish it though, and tbh, really can't be arsed.

All IMHO obviously!

Also, a mild whinge about Reaper 7's default theme:

- No dB markings in the meters. Fail.
- No colour delineation in the meters. Fail.
- Most fonts are barely readable. Fail.
- Even when you increase the text brightness, it doesn't affect the arrange area, so your bar and beats don't brighten. Fail.
- Buttons constantly change position in very unintuitive ways when you resize panels. Fail.

It's like the person who designed it never records music and doesn't know what workflow actually means.
Facepalm smiley

I've not found a single theme in a decade that I'm happy to use without proviso. I even made my own Studio One theme, where I literally cloned S1 controls and buttons from scratch and implemented them in Reaper. I never got time to finish it though, and tbh, really can't be arsed.

All IMHO obviously!
I grabbed the reapertips guy (Alejandro), his free reapertips theme. Watched a bunch of his videos with some extra cool things with midi and I think it looks pretty decent. Not as polished as Logic or S1 but most people dont think its "Reaper" when they see it :rofl

Reaper is by far the most ugly, cumbersome and unintuitive DAW. But its audio engine is extremely efficient.

Studio One has a very streamlined workflow, but its audio engine is buggy as hell. Low latency („Z“) monitoring causes plugins to behave weirdly - for example Helix Native won‘t change the sound when settings in the plugin are changed and plugins that have a delta listen feature - like the FabFilter stuff - will also not work correctly. This can only be fixed by disabling Z monitoring, but then the latency becomes a huge issue. As someone who likes to play guitar through plugins this problem is an absolute exclusion criterion for S1.

I switched from Logic to Cubase 2 years ago and could not be happier. It‘s a very feature rich and mature software and its workflow isn‘t nearly as unintuitive as some people like to tell. In fact it’s quite similar to S1, which makes sense because S1 was developed by ex-Steinberg employees. And on my M1 iMac its audio engine efficiency and reliability is on par with Reaper.

Last edited:
I switched from Logic to Cubase 2 years ago and could not be happier. It‘s a very feature rich and mature software and its workflow isn‘t nearly as unintuitive as some people like to tell. In fact it’s quite similar to S1, which makes sense because S1 was developed by ex-Steinberg employees. And on my M1 iMac its audio engine efficiency and reliability is on par with Reaper.
The problem is, if you disable ASIOGUARD, Cubase doesn't use 50% of your available CPU processing power. Otherwise I'd choose Cubase no question.

The problem is, if you disable ASIOGUARD, Cubase doesn't use 50% of your available CPU processing power. Otherwise I'd choose Cubase no question.
Hm, I actually never thought about ASIO Guard. I left it at factory settings and never experienced any problems with it. What problems do you have with it?

Hm, I actually never thought about ASIO Guard. I left it at factory settings and never experienced any problems with it. What problems do you have with it?
When it is enabled, latency is higher, necessarily. I don't have any problems with it as such. Even with it on though, CPU efficiency is still definitely not as good as Reaper. Check my next post....

Right. More screenies. Reaper first:
CPU 0 - 11:
JVlO1dl.png

CPU 12 - 25:
Y0uZFLw.png

CPU 26 - 31:
SQd4Hn3.png

That is with anticipative FX processing enabled.

Now Studio One. With dropout protection set to minimum:
CPU 0 - 11:
WHBPVW0.png

CPU 12 - 25:
GHtculm.png

CPU 26 - 31:
Hxovhu8.png

And Studio one with dropout protection set to medium (not usable here):
CPU 0 - 11:
Zu6wZYi.png

CPU 12 - 25:
dP4LMof.png

CPU 26 - 31:
7fR7tIn.png

Now Cubase. First with Asio-Guard enabled and set to low:
CPU 0 - 11:
FZUFHYP.png

CPU 12 - 25:
1H5Nppu.png

CPU 26 - 31:
UIbJqK6.png

And finally, Cubase again. With Asio-Guard disabled (completely unusable for this project):
CPU 0 - 11:
ixMrduA.png

CPU 12 - 25:
EVQtkih.png

CPU 26 - 31:
Q78gLu6.png

(right click on any of those and open in a new tab to see the full screen properly)

All measurements done at 48kHz sample-rate, with a buffer size of 64.

Suffice to say... Reaper is definitely way more efficient, and now I need to make a judgement call on what I'm going to stick with.

When it is enabled, latency is higher, necessarily. [...]
AFAIK ASIO Guard does not add any latency for realtime monitoring, where low latency is crucial, only for regular playback tracks and things like mixer movements. It's explained in the help page below. I think Steinberg have actually done a great job with its implementation - in contrast to the terrible Dropout Protection / Z Monitoring in Studio One.

"The ASIO-Guard allows you to shift as much processing as possible from the ASIO real time path to the ASIO-Guard processing path. This results in a more stable system.
The ASIO-Guard allows you to preprocess all channels as well as VST instruments that do not need to be calculated in real time. This leads to fewer dropouts, the capacity to process more tracks or plug-ins, and the ability to use smaller buffer sizes.

ASIO-Guard Latency​

High ASIO-Guard levels lead to an increased ASIO-Guard latency. When you adjust a volume fader, for example, you will hear the parameter changes with a slight delay. The ASIO-Guard latency, in contrast to the latency of the audio hardware, is independent of live input.

Restrictions​

The ASIO-Guard cannot be used for:
  • Real-time-dependent signals
  • External effects and instruments
If you activate the monitoring for an input channel, a MIDI instrument, or a VST instrument channel, the audio channel and all dependent channels are automatically switched from ASIO-Guard to real-time processing and vice versa. [...]"

Last edited:
What problems does ASIO Guard cause for you? :unsure:
I never said it did. But it is undeniable that even with AG enabled, Reaper is still a lot more efficient at spreading the load across the CPU cores. Check the images.

I'm currently trying to balance up performance with workflow. You can get close to the Cubase or Studio One workflow in Reaper. But not all the way there.

I never said it did. But it is undeniable that even with AG enabled, Reaper is still a lot more efficient at spreading the load across the CPU cores. Check the images.

I'm currently trying to balance up performance with workflow. You can get close to the Cubase or Studio One workflow in Reaper. But not all the way there.
Well, on my M1 iMac Cubase matches Reaper's efficiency. Buy a Mac. :cool:

Well, on my M1 iMac Cubase matches Reaper's efficiency. Buy a Mac. :cool:
I have a Macbook Pro with an M1 Pro chip. But I only use it for live stuff really. My Windows box is a beast, and I need a computer that can do efficient 3D graphics work as well as be a DAW (and 4K video editing, motion graphics, blahblahblahblah)

Back