6-way amp shootout

Which tone do you like best?

• Total voters

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
Just for fun really, slapped this together pretty quick with 6 different amps involved here:

- Bogner Uberschall Rev Green
- Dual Rectifier Rev G
- Modded 1987x (Friedman JEL sort of thing with a ton of extras)
- 5150 Block Letter
- Friedman BE100
- Krank Revolution Series 1

Used the same IR but some have some subtle EQ. Its not to prove anything, just a fun way of hearing the character of each amp.

Or you can listen here: https://samply.app/p/yX4EqaFmcoHauKdWseOX

Which tone do you like best?

I thought they all exhibited their character's pretty well. A couple surprised me in that I didnt expect them to work for this but they ended up being some of my favourites.

I think A & E are my faves. B and C are a bit bright/crispy for me. D has some boxiness (?) to it. F is good too, and I could probably lump it with A & E, but it has just the tiniest bit of that boxiness I heard in D.

I voted E for this kind of music

A suggestion: if you mute the audio clips instead of using the mute button you'll avoid the small gap and make easier for the viewer to follow wich channel is palying.

I voted E for this kind of music

A suggestion: if you mute the audio clips instead of using the mute button you'll avoid the small gap and make easier for the viewer to follow wich channel is palying.
ha yeah, I could probably save myself some effort by just chopping up the regions. would make it visually easier to see which one is playing too.

Tough call, at different points each had a good solid sound. Some I preferred less on the single note stuff.

A, B, D & E were in my favorite group more than C & F

If I had to choose one it would be D overall - but that's a tough call.

Amps are:

A=JEL modded Marshall, on no NFB mode
B=Uberschall
C=Recto
D=5150
E=Krank
F=BE100

I was surprised how well the JEL worked, without the NFB it sort of blended qualities I liked about all the others. That was my favourite. Uber and Recto were probably most distinctive, I liked those a lot too. Less mids then JEL but perhaps more character? I thought they were easiest to recognise.

5150 was my least favourite here, a bit boxy and lacking bite.

Krank surprised me, they just sort of have a voicing that seems to sit in a mix well. Probably my second favourite which I didn’t expect.

F kind of surprised me too in that I thought it might be a bit tame. Had a cool squish in the midrange, and enough bite and aggression to make the cut. JEL sort of did everything this did and more though.

@avanzzzi managed to guess all 6 correctly in the youtube comments - well done!

little jcm800 style shootout, JMP2203/JMP2204/JEL modded Marshall/Peavey VTM 120. Didn’t try to make them sound the same, just sort of hearing what they all do. JEL and VTM are in their most low gain/stock modes, they can come up with a lot more tones with all the mods available on them.

Back