10" Guitar Speakers

PatF

Groupie
Looking for some opinions on 10" guitar speakers. I have two old Silverface Champ combos (already hacked). I'm thinking of converting them into a pair of sealed 1 x 10's to go with a refrigerator rack project.

I already have one Weber Legacy. Any others you guys like? Should they match? I'm a little worried that might be a lot of work for a potentially mediocre result.

I tried to do the same thing with my rack with a pair of Marshall 110 cabs from an old Lead 12 mini stack. Obviously the speakers that come in them are crap so I tried swapping them out with a few other types I had on hand and they just sound small.

Then I found a couple of empty Sovtek 112 cabs on Craigslist for $60. I put WGS Invader 50's in them and they are awesome.

54kTrGd.jpg

I've always had mixed feelings about 10" speakers. On one hand I love the tight punchy sound of them, but sometimes I don't like the effect they have on overdrive/distortion tones.

The last time I was using two cabs with 10s I had a Weber AlNico in one and a Celestion Greenback in the other and I was very happy with the sound of the two together.

Cool rig Riffraff! I have a GSP2101 in mine.

Thanks for the advise guys. I have a 12" Eminence Governor too. It barely fits in the Champ. Maybe I'll do one 12" and one 10".

I think 10’s are more articulate and refined than 12’s. But to me, you need two 10’s for every one twelve to retain the body and low end. Four by ten’s are sublime but two 10’s work well at studio levels. The important thing is to choose the right 10’s for the application. I prefer 10” Creambacks. Jensen has some killer 10’s as well. The Fender Super Reverb 4x10 reminds me of the fender equivalent of a Marshall half stack.

I think 10’s are more articulate and refined than 12’s. But to me, you need two 10’s for every one twelve to retain the body and low end. Four by ten’s are sublime but two 10’s work well at studio levels. The important thing is to choose the right 10’s for the application. I prefer 10” Creambacks. Jensen has some killer 10’s as well. The Fender Super Reverb 4x10 reminds me of the fender equivalent of a Marshall half stack.
I’ve never had a 2x10 but always thought that would be fun to try.

I already have one Weber Legacy. Any others you guys like? Should they match? I'm a little worried that might be a lot of work for a potentially mediocre result.

If you do get 2 different speakers you may want to check their efficiency so that
one of them is not noticeably louder or quieter than the other.

I’ve never had a 2x10 but always thought that would be fun to try.
Believe it or not but I once stacked three 2x10 combos vertically and ran them together. It was similar to a 4x12 but with an easy articulation that needed to be heard to be appreciated. They were relatively inexpensive solid state amps so I moved on but the concept sounded so solid. I wish more 2x10, 4x10 or even 6x10 cabs were available.

Believe it or not but I once stackEd three 2x10 combos vertically and ran them together. It was similar to a 4x12 but with an easy articulation that needed to be heard to be appreciated. They were relatively inexpensive solid state amps so I moved on but the concept sounded so solid. I wish more 2x10, 4x10 or even 6x10 cabs were available.
Wow. That sounds like rock and roll right there! Haha.

Back