Why you shouldn't write a DAW

That's a great talk for us techy types. Just so much we simply use but don't have to think about how it has been achieved. Gets really complex, really quick even for baseline features.

It's not mentioned in the talk, but it's no wonder that all DAWs are pretty much the same thing with different fine details in their workflows and feature sets. Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel because the market won't accept anything too different.

Funnily enough this leads to a situation where it's hard to truly differentiate DAW software because at a glance they are the same thing with slightly different graphics. Only more pro level features might differentiate, and otherwise it's all about subtle things like how everything operates or looks.

I used Reaper for years because it was cross-platform and dirt cheap. It looks a bit crap but it is lightweight with a strong online community and tons of tutorials.

I moved to Logic because out of all the DAWs I tried, it worked in a way that I liked and it's a good deal with everything that comes with it. For me DAWs with subscription fees are right out because I'm just a hobbyist.

That's a great talk for us techy types. Just so much we simply use but don't have to think about how it has been achieved. Gets really complex, really quick even for baseline features.

It's not mentioned in the talk, but it's no wonder that all DAWs are pretty much the same thing with different fine details in their workflows and feature sets. Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel because the market won't accept anything too different.

Funnily enough this leads to a situation where it's hard to truly differentiate DAW software because at a glance they are the same thing with slightly different graphics. Only more pro level features might differentiate, and otherwise it's all about subtle things like how everything operates or looks.

I used Reaper for years because it was cross-platform and dirt cheap. It looks a bit crap but it is lightweight with a strong online community and tons of tutorials.

I moved to Logic because out of all the DAWs I tried, it worked in a way that I liked and it's a good deal with everything that comes with it. For me DAWs with subscription fees are right out because I'm just a hobbyist.
I've owned a version of Cubase since the mid 2000's, but never really used it in anger until very recently. I got Cubase 13 Pro at a good upgrade price, so I've just made the jump to it from Reaper. It does everything I could ever want, doesn't cause eyestrain, and runs stable enough for me to not really have to worry about adding a bajillion plugins.

I'm definitely off the Reaper train at this point. At least for my personal stuff. For work stuff, different story.

I didn’t watch the vid, but if I didn’t write an in a DAW, I wouldn’t be able to write at all.

Back