welp... its been a good run but back to pedals lol!!

sleewell

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
i think my longest stint with a digital / hybrid/digital rig is coming to a close, lol at least for my live rig. it has been a solid 2-3 years i think - maybe more. I'm not selling my helix but i just ordered a korg pitchblack tuner and coppersound triplegraph. ever since i saw that rig rundown with End where he mentioned how cool the triplegraph is I have had my eye on it. the board I'm planning will also have my keeley ts9dx for a boost, fortin zuul mini, and eqd afterneath. going to keep it pretty pretty simple.

seeing Hoods last night was so amazing and was def the tipping point. dudes triple recto totally slayed. I like my tone with the helix in the fx return a lot but in the back of my mind I just keep thinking a tiny bit of something is missing compared going into the front of the amp with a few pedals. hard to describe... just the immediate powerful organic attack you get with a real amp gets lost a little with whatever digital stuff helix adds or takes away. the helix is amazing but I don't really use a ton of effects for this band so if I am using the helix primarily for amp tones with an actual amp I might as well just use the actual amp haha. thankfully I still have my pedal train board and case and voodoo labs pedal power so this little experiment isn't going to be that expensive. setup and tear down should be pretty comparable to using the helix once i get the board all wired up.

I'm going to keep the helix for practice at home and who knows maybe ill switch back at some point. life is a journey. just have fun with it and find your own sound.

Last edited:
GIF by KIN

I went digital for a bit. I was doing the Katana thing. My Katana Artist actually sounded pretty good, but one day I started messing around with my Super champ and decided to put them side by side.

.......I've slowly been buying my pedals back since

I went digital for a bit. I was doing the Katana thing. My Katana Artist actually sounded pretty good, but one day I started messing around with my Super champ and decided to put them side by side.

.......I've slowly been buying my pedals back since

dude in one of my fav bands around here plays a katana head. he makes it sound amazing, really good musician too.

check em out if you like death metal:

I switch things up periodically just to keep it interesting, and I’m also currently in the midst of a “traditional” phase. My starting point was a Studio JTM combo, and now I’m working on a very minimalist board to go with it. We’re talking wah, tuner, compressor, a couple levels of drive, delay, and reverb.

I'm going to keep the helix for practice at home and who knows maybe I’ll switch back at some point. life is a journey. just have fun with it and find your own sound.
Word. Totally understand. I’m on my way “back” from a long pause. This time going back to pedals, no modeler. But it’s a compromise thing now, I’m going for a less is more thing with a simple amp pedal at the end. I need to commit myself to a base kinda. Also applied the “old way”. All pedals will be mono straight into the amp (model though) and it shall be like old times. It’s an underrated old way of doing it.

I had considered buying a multi effects too. However, I am clumsy. Menu diving, reading screens, making adjustments on such units did not seem easy specially live.

So I bought a tuner and an overdrive pedal. Later on, I got a volume pedal.

Currently I am only using my tuner and a volume pedal.

If I still wanna add effects later on, I will buy a multi effects which has knobs on it for everything like the Boss ME-50 or the Fly rig device.

Back