Voodoo Labs Hex or Morningstar ML5 experience?

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
Has anyone ever had one of these? If so(1). How does your unit sound with all pedals bypassed? and (2) does the Hex operate well when the buffer is turned off? I understand pedals like Klon with internal charge pump likely have pops, but how about with "most" pedals?

In an ideal world, I would love to have a half-dozen pedals sitting on my desk, but controllable from my Helix Controller on the floor, in my jam room, but once I started looking into Morningstar ML5 I realized it seems to also be an always-on buffer. I get it -- they control the loops with both a really and a very steeply ramped volume control to avoid pops/clicks. But it's annoying you can't defeat it. The Voodoo Labs Hex at least allows you to run it in non-buffered mode.

A solid 80%+ of my playing has all of the pedals turned off. And for that playing I'd really prefer to just go straight into whatever I'm using as an amp. I guess I could also stand a "transparent buffer", but I'm not sure that's really possible...at best, it seems like it may be transparent with respect to one amp input topology, but not others.

This is all super first world problems given that for the majority of the playing I do, turning pedals on/off by hand isn't really a problem or even too much of a hassle. But Goals.

"Get a true bypass loop for your loop switcher"
yo dawg GIF

Has anyone ever had one of these? If so(1). How does your unit sound with all pedals bypassed? and (2) does the Hex operate well when the buffer is turned off? I understand pedals like Klon with internal charge pump likely have pops, but how about with "most" pedals?

In an ideal world, I would love to have a half-dozen pedals sitting on my desk, but controllable from my Helix Controller on the floor, in my jam room, but once I started looking into Morningstar ML5 I realized it seems to also be an always-on buffer. I get it -- they control the loops with both a really and a very steeply ramped volume control to avoid pops/clicks. But it's annoying you can't defeat it. The Voodoo Labs Hex at least allows you to run it in non-buffered mode.

A solid 80%+ of my playing has all of the pedals turned off. And for that playing I'd really prefer to just go straight into whatever I'm using as an amp. I guess I could also stand a "transparent buffer", but I'm not sure that's really possible...at best, it seems like it may be transparent with respect to one amp input topology, but not others.

This is all super first world problems given that for the majority of the playing I do, turning pedals on/off by hand isn't really a problem or even too much of a hassle. But Goals.
I've used both... but I don't quite remember well enough to answer either of your questions. I can tell you they worked as advertised. But I put them on pedalboards, and I wasn't scrutinizing their transparency vs plugging straight into an amp.

Does the Hex allow you to run it in non-buffered mode? Seems the output is buffered, and the manual doesn't mention ways to disable it.
And is there a buffer in the ML5? I don't see a mention of it.

Another option is the RJM Mini Effects Gizmo X, but it's pricey.

I've used both... but I don't quite remember well enough to answer either of your questions. I can tell you they worked as advertised. But I put them on pedalboards, and I wasn't scrutinizing their transparency vs plugging straight into an amp.

Does the Hex allow you to run it in non-buffered mode? Seems the output is buffered, and the manual doesn't mention ways to disable it.

I've read the method for turning the buffer off on the Hex somewhere, but can't find it now. See: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...op-switcher-is-it-really-true-bypass.1585384/

Re: ML5, I read this and assumed it meant that there was necessarily a buffer involved, but it seems from the manual that "muted switching" is something you can choose to engage or not for each loop...so maybe if you don't have muted switching on for any loops there is no buffer? From product description on website: "Muted switching mutes then smoothly increases the volume of selected loops during switching. This allows for noise-free switching even when engaging/bypassing higher gain, noisier pedals. You can also customize the duration for which the loops are muted."

I've read the method for turning the buffer off on the Hex somewhere, but can't find it now. See: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...op-switcher-is-it-really-true-bypass.1585384/

Re: ML5, I read this and assumed it meant that there was necessarily a buffer involved, but it seems from the manual that "muted switching" is something you can choose to engage or not for each loop...so maybe if you don't have muted switching on for any loops there is no buffer? From product description on website: "Muted switching mutes then smoothly increases the volume of selected loops during switching. This allows for noise-free switching even when engaging/bypassing higher gain, noisier pedals. You can also customize the duration for which the loops are muted."
According to this forum exchange, the ML5 does not have a buffer. Interesting, I wonder how that muted switching is implemented.

Emailed Morningstar to ask (duh). Worst case scenario I could put an ML5 in this thing and still have complete MIDI control over everything AND silent switching for a Klon, all controllable via MIDI... for roughly the price of the Hex...

According to this forum exchange, the ML5 does not have a buffer. Interesting, I wonder how that muted switching is implemented.
It could be that each loop has a buffer internally (i.e., between relay and either the input or output jack)? to each loop? Seems like that would add to the cost and make it more than 209 though....hmmm

Emailed Morningstar to ask (duh). Worst case scenario I could put an ML5 in this thing and still have complete MIDI control over everything AND silent switching for a Klon, all controllable via MIDI... for roughly the price of the Hex...

I bet this would fit in the 335.

:rollsafe

Reply from Morningstar was similar, that there was not a single buffer in the ML5. ML10 does because of the matrix used for reordering. I replied asking how they can do mute switching without some kind of buffer.

I have a Morningstar ML5 and it has always worked as expected. I don't have anything to complain about it.

I haven't heard it do anything to my tone, but to my knowledge it doesn't have buffers or anything so whether it has an effect on sound depends on what else you got running.

Back