Top 12 Essential Inexpensive Studio Tools

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
This is the first installment of a new series of videos I’m calling ”Tips & Talks”. In this series, I’ll be discussing gear ideas and musical tips, and little observations of trends happening today.In this first video. I’m going to talk about my Top 12 Essential And Inexpensive Studio Tools. These small but essential tools are meant to help you manage your gear, be more efficient in your studio, and troubleshoot issues quicker.

this is my favourite recently:

Alex Tech 25ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black

and to a lesser extent:

KOXXUD Under Desk Cable Management Tray Kit, No Drill Table Cable Basket for Storing Extension Cords, No Screws Tidy Wire Organiser Clamp for Home, Office, Internet Cafe, Kitchen (Black, 2PCS) https://amzn.eu/d/7ao19Vy

I use those Ikea cabinets for storing microphones. As soon as I started assembling them I had immediate regrets because they just feel flimsy and cheap. I’d absolutely recommend the concept for storing cables and things, but I can’t say I’d recommend those particular cabinets at a quarter of the price.

Last edited:
For me, the humble decibel meter has been such a useful tool. "Does it sound better or is it just louder?" is not always easy to gauge.

this is my favourite recently:

Alex Tech 25ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black

and to a lesser extent:

KOXXUD Under Desk Cable Management Tray Kit, No Drill Table Cable Basket for Storing Extension Cords, No Screws Tidy Wire Organiser Clamp for Home, Office, Internet Cafe, Kitchen (Black, 2PCS) https://amzn.eu/d/7ao19Vy

I use those Ikea cabinets for storing microphones. As soon as I started assembling them I had immediate regrets because they just feel flimsy and cheap. I’d absolutely recommend the concept for storing cables and things, but I can’t say I’d recommend those particular cabinets at a quarter of the price.

I generally avoid those cable sleeves because while they look good after setting up for the first time, they're a PITA when you want to test and/or replace just one cable out of the whole bundle later.

For me, the humble decibel meter has been such a useful tool. "Does it sound better or is it just louder?" is not always easy to gauge.

Good one. I actually have one here to keep me from going completely deaf ears.

I generally avoid those cable sleeves because while they look good after setting up for the first time, they're a PITA when you want to test and/or replace just one cable out of the whole bundle later.
these ones are dead simple because its just kind of elastically closed. makes it really easy to split single cables out of the loom too. I find it WAY quicker and less hassle swapping a cable like this, because nothing at all is tangled or even going close to any other cables that it shouldn't.

My patchbay was a total mess before using these and there was tangles everywhere - changing anything was a total PITA, now its dead simple.

Back