Tonebender MKI help

EOengineer

Roadie
Howdy folks! I’m a long time fuzz face nerd who is starting to explore modern production tonebenders. I think I’m most interested in the MKI.

For context: I have a half dozen Ge and Si FuzzFace pedals, and have built another half dozen or so over the years, but generally find that if I’m using anything other than single coils the FF’s limitations become overly restrictive.

I’ll mainly be looking to use the tonebender MKI to goose a 1959 head using a Les Paul, and I’m hoping someone can recommend a modern variant that isn’t unobtanium or $300. It would be great if it also had a bias and input adjustment…both of these are VERY useful on FF circuits and I suspect similarly useful on a TB pedal.

Alternately, I’ve considered building one if anyone has a kit they really love, but I’d probably prefer to buy these days.

Any particular reason you're drawn to the MkI? I have had a few clones, but they all sound different, and there's no way I can afford an original, so I don't really know which one is "right". :LOL:

If you have silly money to throw at this quest: DAM 1965, Jerms MkI, Macari / Sola Sound

If you feel like paying less than that, but still more than the average pedal: Williams Audio MkI, Klinger MkI, Blackstrap MkI

And these can usually be had for around $200: Manlay Sound Ronno Bender, Seeker Effects (Descry or Zonk - I forget which, sorry!)

Any particular reason you're drawn to the MkI? I have had a few clones, but they all sound different, and there's no way I can afford an original, so I don't really know which one is "right". :LOL:

If you have silly money to throw at this quest: DAM 1965, Jerms MkI, Macari / Sola Sound

If you feel like paying less than that, but still more than the average pedal: Williams Audio MkI, Klinger MkI, Blackstrap MkI

And these can usually be had for around $200: Manlay Sound Ronno Bender, Seeker Effects (Descry or Zonk - I forget which, sorry!)
Hey thanks for the info and recommendations!

The main reason I was looking at the mk 1 is because, at least from what I’ve read, it tends to be less compressed, somewhat brighter or more chime in the upper mids/top, and better volume knob cleanup behavior.

Since I mainly play through amps that are already breaking up a little (sometimes a lot), I tend to find less gainy/compressed fuzzes to work better for me. I also really like to use my guitar volume to clean up into a crunch or even dirty clean tone too.

Hopefully I’m not totally off base with the mk 1 for those purposes.

Side question - I have a Carcosa Fuzz that I adore. Anyone with experience with both? Just curious if there’s any overlap there.

Tonebender Mk1 is one of my all-time favorite fuzzes, and I've owned a bunch of them - including a DAM, the Ronno Bender, a Castledine and a Macari. My absolute favorite is a Creepy Fingers Magnabender Mk1, made by Brad Davis of Fu Manchu. It was also the cheapest (about $120 IIRC).

Side question - I have a Carcosa Fuzz that I adore. Anyone with experience with both? Just curious if there’s any overlap there.

That's a great Fuzz.

I'd look into the Basic Audio Marqwon. John makes amazing Fuzz pedals and is a bit of a savant
when it comes to Fuzz. He's a one stop shop for literally everything Fuzz under the sun, and in
my experience rivals the hundreds of dollars, get in line, waitlist names on the far side of the Atlantic.

Pretty sure they run about $200. Some really cool aesthetics and design choices when it comes
to paint and graphics, too. To me. :beer

I do think ALL Benders at their heart and core can be a bit compressed and squish out---especially
with humbuckers and especially with volume maxed and hitting the strings hard on the guitar. :idk

But Les Paul into Bender into Marshall is an iconic sound. I think it is just a matter of hitting/finding
that sweet spot where guitar>pedal>amp are all in sync and working together for the greater good. :LOL:

Tonebender Mk1 is one of my all-time favorite fuzzes, and I've owned a bunch of them - including a DAM, the Ronno Bender, a Castledine and a Macari. My absolute favorite is a Creepy Fingers Magnabender Mk1, made by Brad Davis of Fu Manchu. It was also the cheapest (about $120 IIRC).
Apparently everyone agrees with you on the Magnabender because I can’t find it ANYWHERE.

I do think ALL Benders at their heart and core can be a bit compressed and squish out---especially
with humbuckers and especially with volume maxed and hitting the strings hard on the guitar. :idk

But Les Paul into Bender into Marshall is an iconic sound. I think it is just a matter of hitting/finding
that sweet spot where guitar>pedal>amp are all in sync and working together for the greater good. :LOL:
Yeah, more than anything I just want to be able to experiment with the classic combination and see if I like what it brings to the table.

I may have to order a Sunface. Yup. :crazy
One of the studios I used to work in had an early sunface with the sun dial control, sounded great in all the applications you’d use a FF.

FWIW, when it comes to the FF, I’m a big fan of the approach used in the Gagen EasyFace circuit which replaces the fuzz knob with a fixed 1k or 2k resistor and uses a 250k pot at the base of Q1 to allow you to back the input down. This is effectively the same as having a set maximum threshold configured on your guitar volume to keep the fuzz from getting so woofy. The fuzz knob on a fuzz face is generally pretty useless with most people leaving it at or near max anyway.

The Fulltone 69 and 70 use the 250k pot in conjunction with the variable fuzz knob, calling it the “input” knob. Def adds some flexibility while staying true to the fuzz face tone.

Cool!

Pretty sure all of the Sunfaces come stock with an Input Trim control on the inside of the
pedal, and you can pay them like $15 or so to have that control externally. That and the
Sundial (to adjust Bias) on the outside, that you can also get as option, makes them the
most versatile and usable FFs I have ever had the pleasure of using.

I think the Sunbenders are built the same way---with both an internal Input Trim and an
external Bias control to adjust how much (or little) voltage is going to the transistors.

Pretty sure the Beano is a Rangemaster/Treble Booster. :idk

Mike does make a Tonebender, called the Sunbender. A MK1.5 and a MKIV version.

Everything they build there is exceptional! :beer
Think I must have skimmed the OP from another dimension. Serious brain fart on my end.

:bag

Oh daaaaammmmnnnnnn....

Now I have this stuck in my mind. No no no no noooouuuggghhhhh!!!!!!

My wallet disagrees.

"I already have a Ramble FX Twin Bender. I already have a Ramble FX Twin Bender. I already have a Ramble FX Twin Bender. I already have a Ramble FX Twin Bender. I already have......"

Back