To hell with lightweight

Just reinstalled an EV12 in a Thiele…preparing to sell it. Had been on the shelf for years cause a Kemper Kone occupied it, and the EV was too heavy anyway.

Played it and….That speaker ain’t going nowhere…even driven by a cheap HB poweramp it beats whatelse I got.
Can anybody recommend a good trolly? (Not kidding…im fiddling with a cheapass one..maybe a decent one takes away some reasons to focus on lightweight)

#rethinkingifweightstillmatterswithmax2gigsamonthwhereicarryamps.

Played it and….That speaker ain’t going nowhere…

View over my right shoulder just now....... :giggle:

20240816_140740.jpg

I can't choose between it and a Greenback so I alternate them every couple months! (y)

Your bike trailer might not like it, though :rofl
I’ll give it a couple of pumps on its tires!
The real question is…keep it in the Thiele…sell the Thiele and buy a separate evm and put it in one of my amps? Mesa express and a fender s sonic 60 as candidates…and an oversized pine 1x12.,but then I have to figure out a poweramp…a powerstation would fit in there probably..
Doesn’t fit the Blackstar stJames physically unfortunately…

I’ll give it a couple of pumps on its tires!
The real question is…keep it in the Thiele…sell the Thiele and buy a separate evm and put it in one of my amps? Mesa express and a fender s sonic 60 as candidates…and an oversized pine 1x12.,but then I have to figure out a poweramp…a powerstation would fit in there probably..
Doesn’t fit the Blackstar stJames physically unfortunately…
Bummer on the St. James as that thing is light as a feather!

No point getting rid of a great EVM speaker unless you just don't have the space. I have 4 and they aren't going anywhere.
Space is getting a wee bit scarce..in my house…and in my brain. I’d like the mental room gear decisions take to go down also.,,so some stuff has gotta go.
I own 6 combos, 2 cabs, 2 stereo poweramps, 1 mono SS. I can do 1 walk to the car lightweight stereo setups…and I’m ready for an arena gig…but reality is i do 2 local gigs per month…and soundwise I’m pretty much good with any of them…so it’s becoming a bit silly ;)

Bummer on the St. James as that thing is light as a feather!
Yeah…that would have been a nice compensation for the EV ancor ;)
StJames is on the list “maybe sell” atm..it’s a good amp..but IF I need that light once a year…maybe the pine cab and the ss poweramp will do.

I once had the absolutely stupid idea to put 4 EVs in a Marshall cab. Truth be told, it sounded amazing. I put some heavy duty 3" casters on the cab and thought "oh this will be easy, just roll it in".
Well, the FIRST gig I played with it was in a venue where the stage was upstairs on the second floor. (Rainbow Bar in LA). I had to ask 2 band mates to help and by the time we got to the stage area we were all exhausted - and the gig hadn't even started yet!
That was also the last gig I played with that cab, under the threat of getting kicked out of the band if I ever tried it again.

Last edited:
I once had the absolutely stupid idea to put 4 EVs in a Marshall cab. Truth be told, it sounded amazing. I put some heavy duty 3" casters on the cab and thought "oh this will be easy, just roll it in".
Well, the FIRST gig I played with it was in a venue where the stage was upstairs on the second floor. (Rainbow Bar in LA). I had to ask 2 band mates to help and by the time we got to the stage area we were all exhausted - and the gig hadn't even started yet!
That was also the last gig I played with that cab, under the threat of getting kicked out of the band if I ever tried it again.
thiele.png

played some more with the EV in the Thiele….that Thiele is going nowhere either.
Always thought it was too bassy and to directional (being a closed back)…but it pairs really well with a small superchamp (modded with a poweramp input)…and I’m gonna mitigate the beaminess by pointing the speaker a wee bit to the floor. (Or the keyboard player if it’s an **s)

Now figure out a way to conviently power it with tubes…any other single channel options then the fryette stuff that is compact?

Back