Three Finger Challenge

itchyfingers

Roadie
So last week, John Mayer posts on his IG that he slammed his left index finger in the door of a truck, cannot fret a note with it, or barre a chord. Pretty bad timing considering the band had two weeks of shows left at the Sphere in August - and arguably the most important Dead dates on the calendar, the Days Between Jerry's birthday and the anniversary of his death. I'd guess most bands would have cancelled the show if their lead guitarist was incapacitated like that, but the Dead rose to the occasion. In fact, I'd say the whole band kicked it up a notch to support him, but he didn't really need it. Goddamn Mayer relearned how to play the guitar in a matter of days using only three fingers, and really mostly two fingers, rarely using his pinky. He'd play a portion of a chord one beat, then the rest of the chord 2 beats later. His solos didn't seem to suffer at all, in fact I bet you'd be hard pressed to find anything "wrong" or different about his improvisation. It was like he used it as a source of inspiration rather than the handicap it should have been. He got mad creative with right hand tapping and whammy bar usage - and not just like bending some notes, but like full on Jeff Beck style whammy work. He abandoned his main Silver Sky for most of the weekend, opting to play a Brent Mason Telecaster for most of the songs - it sounded so good. He looked sorta relieved at the end of the Thursday night show, which was Jerry Garcia's birthday, like "holy shit I did it, this will work". He absolutely melt faces the entire weekend. If there was a roof on the Sphere, he blew it off. I was already in awe of the guy's abilities, but my mind is seriously blown after this weekend.

R9NzDZll.jpg

iVyZjENl.jpg

XWZoVIcl.jpg

Today I saw a few posts on SM today of guys trying to play Dead tunes with their index finger bandaged up - the three finger challenge, lol. What say you, TGF - could you play your material without your fretting hand's index finger?

That’s cool that he went on with the show!

Just for fun I tried playing the opening number from my last show without my index. About 80% worked, 10% was super challenging, and 10% was physically impossible. It’s a fun challenge, I might have to do it more often as an exercise.

Also, my mind couldn’t help thinking of this guy immediately:

Yeah I couldn't play shit without my index finger :LOL:

craziness

What's your total sphere showcount now Itchy?
Dude, it was nuts. I'll never be that good with all of my fingers, lol. My Sphere total is up to 6, all Dead and Co. - June 6 and August 1 weekends. Lots of recycled imagery from our first weekend, but they also enhanced a few of the visuals from a couple months ago, like an added twist on something that was already cool. Plus they had a few new ones this weekend.
efCMPpol.jpg

They added this lil Jerry (but only) on his birthday...
TfJMXFsl.jpg

I just hope they decide to do another residency next year! It will also be cool to see what other bands do with the joint, even though the music won't be as good. :LOL:

That’s cool that he went on with the show!

Just for fun I tried playing the opening number from my last show without my index. About 80% worked, 10% was super challenging, and 10% was physically impossible. It’s a fun challenge, I might have to do it more often as an exercise.

Also, my mind couldn’t help thinking of this guy immediately:

Totally chanelled Django!!!

Dude, it was nuts. I'll never be that good with all of my fingers, lol. My Sphere total is up to 6, all Dead and Co. - June 6 and August 1 weekends. Lots of recycled imagery from our first weekend, but they also enhanced a few of the visuals from a couple months ago, like an added twist on something that was already cool. Plus they had a few new ones this weekend.
efCMPpol.jpg

They added this lil Jerry (but only) on his birthday...
TfJMXFsl.jpg

I just hope they decide to do another residency next year! It will also be cool to see what other bands do with the joint, even though the music won't be as good. :LOL:

Totally chanelled Django!!!

Yeah I'm hoping this happens again next year. Going to vegas wasn't in the cards for me this year but dying of FOMO

I'd love to see some minifests or something with some lower tier jam bands.. particular umphreys and biscuits. A holidaze type lineup at the sphere would be dope.

Also would love to see like a Tipper/Shpongle thing with android jones running visuals...

Man, that’s pretty badass.

I don’t think I could play any of my own songs correctly doing that and I’m really curious how well I could pull them off at all.

WTF is that??

Old meme (2Ks) called "Lamprey Fingers". Someone Photoshopped lamprey mouths on their fingertips.

A friend of mine saw this pic and wanted to know if it was true. It is supposedly a picture of someone's hand with marks on his/her fingertips from using the mouse and keyboard too much. The name of the file is "I think I've been spending too much time on the Internet."

Eeewwww (shuddering)

I thought maybe it was real..., like someone's screwed up calluses.

Yeah when I saw it back then I thought it was real too. One of the early "kings" of Photoshopped pics that had everyone freaked out.

I used to feel "itchy" in my fingertips when looking at the pic. :ROFLMAO:

Back