Tempted to take my Katana MKII head on it's maiden voyage tonight

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Fairly short gig 7-9pm and it's an outdoor venue. I'd love to bring my 4x12 but most likely will bring a 2x12. Haven't really set up any patches geared towards gigging yet with it though. Guess I better fire up BTS and get busy. May even leave the Helix LT home tonight and just grab my Weeping Demon and Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and the GAFC.

Hmm now I am considering one of my small pedalboard to host that stuff..

The Katana 100 head is such a cool and easy amp to bring around.

Mine is always with me at gigs as a backup to my Mesa, but for a short gig or easier load-in, it could totally do the job itself, too.

I am currently getting a lot of use out of the Power Amp In feature with my FM9.

Have a great gig! :beer

I couldn't get rid of the Katana combo fast enough, but I guess the head would be a good bit more usable.

Mine kicks ass as a poweramp. I'm not sold on the effects so I haven't really used it as a standalone amp. I'll need effects in Pre and post so would likely run a modeler in 4CM...I'd rather just run an amp model into the power amp and cut down the cabling

Mine kicks ass as a poweramp. I'm not sold on the effects so I haven't really used it as a standalone amp. I'll need effects in Pre and post so would likely run a modeler in 4CM...I'd rather just run an amp model into the power amp and cut down the cabling

Yes, I've been super impressed with mine as power amp, too. I keep having this urge to “upgrade” to a Seymour D. PS 200 or 700, but I really don't know if it's necessary or if there'd even be that much improvement, if any.

Long story short I ended up having to help my Mother in-law yesterday shortly after I made this post and ended up bringing just my Helix LT and it was haunted all night. Constant squealing and I never sussed it out. Global out was set to mic level and I made sure it never got close to clipping in the mixer but every time I'd get close to loud enough it would squeal like crazy. Only thing I did different was set the DSP in the powered speakers to a completely flat eq setting. Thin g is they were like that for the rehearsal I had the other night in my much more closed in jam room and it didnt squeal once. Wifey has a full honey do list for me today so hopefully I find a little time to try and figure out WTF happened. It was a nightmare.

Yes, I've been super impressed with mine as power amp, too. I keep having this urge to “upgrade” to a Seymour D. PS 200 or 700, but I really don't know if it's necessary or if there'd even be that much improvement, if any.

I'd say it really isn't necessary.

Ever since I got the mkII head/cab, I've been using it as a clean platform and was pretty impressed.

BUT, this escalated even further last week, when I took my newly-received Kuro Custom Audio "Exegol" to band practice (a stellar Model T preamp from Livorno, Italy).

I ran the preamp last in chain, and connected the (dedicated) line-level output to the Katana's power amp jack.

WHOA. What's going on here???

Katana set to 50W, master just shy of 50%, and despite our POUNDING drummer, my gear sounded massive.

Really, it sounded so good, I don't know what to say... Felt exactly like an amp would. Of course, a quality preamp is essential - but the Katana power amp isn't to be underestimated, that's for sure... :)

Long story short I ended up having to help my Mother in-law yesterday shortly after I made this post and ended up bringing just my Helix LT and it was haunted all night. Constant squealing and I never sussed it out. Global out was set to mic level and I made sure it never got close to clipping in the mixer but every time I'd get close to loud enough it would squeal like crazy. Only thing I did different was set the DSP in the powered speakers to a completely flat eq setting. Thin g is they were like that for the rehearsal I had the other night in my much more closed in jam room and it didnt squeal once. Wifey has a full honey do list for me today so hopefully I find a little time to try and figure out WTF happened. It was a nightmare.

That sucks! Hate when something that like wrecks, or at least distracts from, what could be a fun gig. :(

And… Should have bought a Badlander™.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Yeah, greener grass, right? I like the idea of a built-in backup just in case. I had a modeler "issue" at my last gig and used the Line Out for my IEM feed in a pinch

Floor monitors pointed at you? Sounds like feedback to me.

I have Katana MK II 50 combo amp that I use clean with my pedals and it works perfect for that application. I think that is how I would use the Katana 100 head with a 412 cab if I were still gigging. That would a rock solid reliable performer.

Re-flashing the Helix LT this morning. I figure with a fresh rebuild that will tell me if the problem was the LT or not if it still does it.

Back