Teenage Engineering OP–1 field: Anything similar in the market?

jellodog

Rock Star
I've on and off been wanting a Teenage Engineering OP-1 for years. Then they brought out the significantly more expensive OP-1 field, which is still tempting despite the price because the upgrades are very nice.

I haven't looked at this sort of thing for years though, so there's so much out there that I might not be aware of. Is there anything similar in the market to the OP–1 field all-in-one synthesizer, micro-DAW, sampler and drum machine that I should look at?

Anything out there that's as fun and inspiring and does a little bit of everything?

If the answer is "no", then perhaps I should just buy an OP-1 or else stick with my M1 MacBook Air and a small control surface 🤔

I just want to experiment with making some non-guitar music sat on the couch (or in bed!) when I'm not playing my guitar.

I used to make electronic years ago, but I don't want to go back to a rack of synth modules, full size midi keyboard, midi cables, multiple power cables and a host of other crap.

Last edited:
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

I've on and off been wanting a Teenage Engineering OP-1 for years. Then they brought out the significantly more expensive OP-1 field, which is still tempting despite the price because the upgrades are very nice.

I haven't looked at this sort of thing for years though, so there's so much out there that I might not be aware of. Is there anything similar in the market to the OP–1 field all-in-one synthesizer, sampler and drum machine that I should look at?

Anything out there that's as fun and inspiring and does a little bit of everything?

If the answer is "no", then perhaps I should just buy an OP-1 or else stick with my M1 MacBook Air and a small control surface 🤔

I just want to experiment with making some non-guitar music sat on the couch (or in bed!) when I'm not playing my guitar.

I used to make electronic years ago, but I don't want to go back to a rack of synth modules, full size midi keyboard, midi cables, multiple power cables and a host of other crap.
Native Instrument finally came out with a standalone Maschine, but it apparently kinda sucks because its wildly underpowered.

There's a standalone version of the Abelton Push, too, which I know nothing about other than the PRICETAG

I would say the Maschine Mk3 (or Maschine + if you need to use it standalone)

Fucking love my Mk3

Edit: missed the part where you want to use it in bed lol; probably a bit too big for that

I would say the Maschine Mk3 (or Maschine + if you need to use it standalone)

Fucking love my Mk3

Edit: missed the part where you want to use it in bed lol; probably a bit too big for that

I know the whole bed thing sounds somewhat ridiculous, but I never thought I wanted to play games in bed until I got a Nintendo Switch.

Sometimes I'm mentally exhausted by life and so I need to retire to my "nest"... but once there, I'm often creative and not sleepy.

I also have fond memories of enjoying a Yamaha QY70 (26 years ago!) and I would stay up until 3am obsessively making these fun little tunes; often in bed... especially after the heating switched off.

It think the "bed" requirement does help keep the size of the potential device down and does help to focus on the idea of portability too. Could also be used on a plane or train.

But I'd use this just as much on the sofa. After a long day sat at my desk with a computer, I just don't want to be at my desk anymore.

I'll certainly have a look at the MK3 - it's been years since I looked at the Native Instruments stuff. I used to really enjoy Reaktor.

Here's a lil clip I did entirely with the Maschine (I'm the master of starting a project and never completely finishing it lol)

The variety of sounds available is basically unlimited and it's so much fucking fun

Hopefully OneDrive links work in here

Here's a lil clip I did entirely with the Maschine (I'm the master of starting a project and never completely finishing it lol)

The variety of sounds available is basically unlimited and it's so much fucking fun

The link worked! Well that lil' ditty has a bit of everything in terms of what the device can do, for sure 🙂

One thing I will say is the Maschine Expansion packs that NI sells are a rabbit hole for sure....I have several but they're pretty addicting lmao

At least they're generally fairly cheap

For the same money I would get an MPCX SE. Far larger but incredibly more powerful in every way.
The Op1 was expensive but the Field is just ridiculously overpriced.

Push 3 is also a nice option.

Back