Talk to me about the Laney Lionheart L50H

MadAsAHatter

Roadie
I knew of these amps but never took a good look at them until the other day. I didn't realize it was a 50 watt Class A amp. This has my interest now. I've only come across a couple of helpful reviews and sound clips. From what I can tell it sound pretty good and seems like it would be a good at covering at least up to hard rock territory; maybe into hair metal with a boost.

Anybody here play one? what did you think of it?
Any other info will be appreciated as well.

Never played this model, and I apologize for responding without direct experience.

Laney are an amazing amp manufacturer, and everything I've played, or owned from them have been stellar, in sounds and quality.

I've played almost every amp of thiers , with exception of original supergroup and klipp era amps ...hard to find here in the us, especially in my region, and not once have I been disappointed.

Like all amps, you will only truly appreciate it if you get to play one. My advice is to just go play one and make up your mind that way , if able.

They seem to be well thought out, and offer great sounds that are manageable across channels, eq wise.

May not be super tight in the bottom end, but that can be helped ...but not eliminated.

Hopefully someone else here has more direct experience with this particular amp ...but if I were shopping for this amp ..I would just buy it without hearing, knowing it would impress.

I confess, I am a huge Laney guy.

I wish there was one available for me to try, but unfortunately nothing in the area. So as usual it's gauging the best I can from feedback and youtube videos.

The tone and dynamics controls seem interesting. From the manual it's described as shaping the high end harmonics and low end response, but in a different way than what you'd expect a presence and resonance knob to do it. Though that could also be a marketing description.

It is good to know that Laney has been keeping their quality standards up over the years.

I wish there was one available for me to try, but unfortunately nothing in the area. So as usual it's gauging the best I can from feedback and youtube videos.

The tone and dynamics controls seem interesting. From the manual it's described as shaping the high end harmonics and low end response, but in a different way than what you'd expect a presence and resonance knob to do it. Though that could also be a marketing description.

It is good to know that Laney has been keeping their quality standards up over the years.
Laney makes use of the resonance and presence controls, one way or another in almost all their amps...and whether they call it that , is a gamble.

On my gh100l, it was a presence knob.... resonance switch.....on my IRT120....its called dynamics ...and it is a combo type adjustment, which is smart .. because you can really dial in ""eras"" of amps and gain feel, so to speak.
This amp also has tone...but I keep it at 0, and do all shaping outside the amp.

If they have that on this, it will work in a way that is predictable and musical, I would guarantee it.

From all I have heard, read and know of Laney, this amp is special if you like a specific vintage thing, up to a almost hair mode....if done correctly...but not as tight as modern.

I understand the trepidation, but If I had the money and needed a second clean, pushed clean....this amp would be it.

Once again though, I'm a Laney nerd.

Laney makes use of the resonance and presence controls, one way or another in almost all their amps...and whether they call it that , is a gamble.

On my gh100l, it was a presence knob.... resonance switch.....on my IRT120....its called dynamics ...and it is a combo type adjustment, which is smart .. because you can really dial in ""eras"" of amps and gain feel, so to speak.
This amp also has tone...but I keep it at 0, and do all shaping outside the amp.

If they have that on this, it will work in a way that is predictable and musical, I would guarantee it.

From all I have heard, read and know of Laney, this amp is special if you like a specific vintage thing, up to a almost hair mode....if done correctly...but not as tight as modern.

I understand the trepidation, but If I had the money and needed a second clean, pushed clean....this amp would be it.

Once again though, I'm a Laney nerd.

Now you're just making this amp sound more enticing LOL.

I can definitely get along with something that's more vintage rock and flirting with "hair mode". I like saturation but not so much where it's over the top. Part of my style is this weird combo of chugga-chugga modern metal, but with more vintage & 80's tones. Don't ask me how that works, but it seem to somehow.

On this one they're called Tone and Dynamics. The description sounds like they're similar to presence/resonance. Being Class A I'm thinking they may be implemented and function slightly different than typical, but overall achieve the same end result.

This is what the manual says.
1725475533269.png

Now you're just making this amp sound more enticing LOL.

I can definitely get along with something that's more vintage rock and flirting with "hair mode". I like saturation but not so much where it's over the top. Part of my style is this weird combo of chugga-chugga modern metal, but with more vintage & 80's tones. Don't ask me how that works, but it seem to somehow.

On this one they're called Tone and Dynamics. The description sounds like they're similar to presence/resonance. Being Class A I'm thinking they may be implemented and function slightly different than typical, but overall achieve the same end result.

This is what the manual says.
View attachment 27919
Works the same exact way on my IRT120.

It is awesome. Like I said, I leave the tone alone.
Not sure if you get your gain from pedals or the amps pre....but I do both...and I love it all.

Laney has great cleans, not too bright or too chimney, but can do that easy. Not scooped.....nice and even and tunable.

With this amp, anything modern...from the amp directly... probably asking a lot...but I am sure you can get to a very happy place with this amp for sure.

Also, with it being parallel class a, it should have some real unique harmonic content going on!

Last edited:
I mostly get my crunch directly from the amp, sometimes with a boost in front. From clips I wouldn't expect it to high gain modern metal. I have other amps with similar or less amounts of gain that are well within my range of playing. Basically as long as it's not an ultra clean pedal platform I'm happy. I'm looking at it as doing light crunch to 80's rock which it appears to be able to cover. worse case hit it with a boost pedal to push it a hair more.

Yeah, I'm thinking it should have some interesting overtones happening.

I mostly get my crunch directly from the amp, sometimes with a boost in front. From clips I wouldn't expect it to high gain modern metal. I have other amps with similar or less amounts of gain that are well within my range of playing. Basically as long as it's not an ultra clean pedal platform I'm happy. I'm looking at it as doing light crunch to 80's rock which it appears to be able to cover. worse case hit it with a boost pedal to push it a hair more.

Yeah, I'm thinking it should have some interesting overtones happening.
Keep me posted, I am intrigued which way you go!

Well I said F-it, put in an offer on one listed on Reverb, and the seller accepted. Guess I'm now the owner of a Lionheart L50H. I'm really interested to hear how this sounds and plays for myself. Now it's waiting for it to be shipped/delivered and hope it's pack well enough to not get damaged in transit.

Well I said F-it, put in an offer on one listed on Reverb, and the seller accepted. Guess I'm now the owner of a Lionheart L50H. I'm really interested to hear how this sounds and plays for myself. Now it's waiting for it to be shipped/delivered and hope it's pack well enough to not get damaged in transit.
F ing sweet dude!!!! Mind if I ask why they price was....I like to keep up on those things......if it isn't too obtuse?

That is so cool!!! Congratulations!!!! Better post a NAD on that one!!!!😝

The seller listed it for $1195 and I offered $1000. Not really a steal, but I think it's a fair enough market price. The 50 watt ones don't seem to come up overly often. From what I was able to find the last couple sold for around $1200 and the original list price for new before being discontinued was $1800. I found only 2 others currently for sale. The seller has a 2nd one listed for the $1195 price and Guitar Center has one at $1150, but not in as good condition.

The seller listed it for $1195 and I offered $1000. Not really a steal, but I think it's a fair enough market price. The 50 watt ones don't seem to come up overly often. From what I was able to find the last couple sold for around $1200 and the original list price for new before being discontinued was $1800. I found only 2 others currently for sale. The seller has a 2nd one listed for the $1195 price and Guitar Center has one at $1150, but not in as good condition.
Cool, that's a fair price, especially considering they don't come around often. Sound buy. Hope you dig it !

It's certainly a unique amp, can't think of any amps that are parallel single ended to this degree, with 5x EL34 tubes. Would love to try it.

I always thought the Lionheart was a cross between a Vox and a Plexi (based on trying it in a store multiple times at moderate volumes) a bit like what the Bad Cat stuff claims to be doing. Would love to know what you think of it once it arrives.

Back