Suhr SL series or Friedman Plex

Evh73

I realize Friedman has yet to release his version of the plexi but after watching Pete Thorn’s recent review of the Suhr SL 67/68 I’m left wondering if that’s the one to get.

Fanboys on both sides please try to be unbiased… any opinions?

Watching Pete's video, some of the switches seem pretty subtle and I expect both the Suhr and the Friedman just end up getting parked on some particular switch configuration you like. Useful for trying them out, but the end result is basically "could've just modded a Marshall Superlead."

If you are in the US most likely both amps will be priced more favorably against Marshall tho.

Total opposite in Europe. The Suhr SL67 MKII is 3999€ incl 24% VAT, or $4342. That's very expensive for such a simple amp but crossing the pond tends to do that. A Marshall 1959 handwired is 1949€ or $2116 so half the cost. A boutique clone to your preference would be probably in the 2000-2500€ range.

I expect both the Suhr and the Friedman just end up getting parked on some particular switch configuration you like.

Pretty common though, right?
My 101B remained parked once I found the right combination of switch settings.

Pretty common though, right?
My 101B remained parked once I found the right combination of switch settings.
True.

My point was that the little switches at first seem like a great feature but end up becoming irrelevant quickly, while the amp still remains very inconvenient unless you own a Fryette Power Station or similar top tier attenuator.

My point was that the little switches at first seem like a great feature but end up becoming irrelevant quickly.

No better amp than a Bogner Ecstasy to learn that all those little switch options would be better off labeled:

"The position I like."
"The position I don't like."

:LOL:

No better amp than a Bogner Ecstasy to learn that all those little switch options would be better off labeled:

"The position I like."
"The position I don't like."

:LOL:
Yeah usually it's "I can see why someone would like this other position...but I'll never use it!"

To be fair, the Suhr does have a good PPIMV installed, not sure about the Friedman. I would assume it does too.
So an attenuator may not be necessary unless you actually hated the sound of the master volume for some reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really want to try the SL67 / 68 some time. The Friedman sounds cool in clips also, but I'm not sure how "massaged" the amp will end up feeling in person. i.e; how "Friedmanesque" will it sound.

To be fair, the Suhr does have a good PPIMV installed, not sure about the Friedman. I would assume it does too.
So an attenuator may not be necessary unless you actually hated the sound of the master volume for some reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So it seems, it's just buried in the back so I thought it was more of a direct NMV repro.

I realize Friedman has yet to release his version of the plexi but after watching Pete Thorn’s recent review of the Suhr SL 67/68 I’m left wondering if that’s the one to get.

Fanboys on both sides please try to be unbiased… any opinions?

Dave Friedman has said that the internal layout of the components is completely different to what you would expect out of reproduction of a vintage Marshall. He has focused the layout to optimized noise.

Suhr on the other hand has a beautifully hand wired layout that its a joy to look at, if you care for that vibe.

Both amps are pretty close spec wise, and both Dave and John Suhr have touched the Eddie VH Marshall at one point in time.

You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Back