Suhr Discovery

Achilles

Rock Star
Was happy with a Waza DM-2 but had to at least check one of these out. Waited until a slightly dinged one showed up that I could easily move without losing much if it proved to be more hype than gold. Had it a few weeks now and it's not going anywhere. The quality of the basic delay voice is right on par with the Boss but having the built in, and really well implemented, HI and LO cut controls are easily worth the extreme price imo. I found keeping the LO at 12:00 works well across the board and then the HI works amazing in conjunction with the mix and regen controls. As those go higher you cut the HI as well and it cleans up any mush from busy settings. So much more usable than the usual single tone control (or none like the DM-2W!) I'm not a huge fan of the overall cosmetic they chose but the 3 knobs you need most are pronounced which is nice. It's got the best on-board chorus I've heard too but I don't use that much. I love this approach - instead of going multi-delay with a dozen different flavors you just get a great analog voice with lots of ways to sculpt it. Kudos to Kevin Suhr.

EDIT: the ding is clearly visible right adjacent to the 18V and plus sign text in the upper left. It was the only used one I'd seen in about 4 weeks of looking that was less than the current pre-order price. (y)

EDIT 2: note about the 1/4" expression input. Unless I'm doing something wrong - it works for all knobs simultaneously. I wanted to use the pedal just for the mix control, but each time I touched it all 7 knobs would reset. I calibrated the pedal for about 30% mix at heel and 60% at toe and then all other settings didn't move. I start playing and adjust the mix just fine. But if I then adjust the BPM from 400 to 450 (for example) and then touch the pedal again the bpm resets to 400. Fortunately you can map individually via midi.

20230916_105112.jpg

Last edited:
One more operational note. When using it in the effects loop the range of the mix and regen controls work as expected. If I put the unit between the Power Load and Samson amp (where the Talisman reverb works best) those two controls become A LOT more sensitive - especially the mix. In the loop the 50% wet/dry point is about 12:00. Placed after the Load it's more like 10:30.

Back