Stratocaster similar to Am Pro ii but cheaper?

vino_buono

Roadie
Hi! I am in the market for a new strat... I already have one that I have converted to HSS, and I'd like to get an SSS one to mount a set of Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups on it (not before hearing the V-Mod ii though!).

I have set my eyes on the Fender Am Pro ii. I *love* the Deep C neck (same neck as the AM Pro ii Tele I currently own). My other strat has a thinner neck, the deep C feels perfect to me. The problem with the Am Pro ii is that the only color I would want to get it is Olympic White, the other colors either I already have a very similar guitar, or I don't like, or I like but I am afraid I'd get tired of it quickly (e.g., Surf green and Miami blue). Problem is, I have been waiting for a used rosewood freatboard Olympic white Am Pro ii strat to come up in local listings, but so far this has not happened. I can buy one new for 1750 euro, but I'd also be willing to get a different model if the neck is not too thin and too curved (ok with 9.5" or similar, don't like super-vintage curved necks). MUST be 22 frets.

Do you know of any high-quality Fender or other brand options that would fit the bill? I like very much the Schecter Nick Johnston, but the thin C neck is not really for me. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lollar Dirty Blonde
IMG_3209.gif

The american pro II is very nice, and the miami blue is awesome, especially in person. Kind of hard to capture its vibe on photographs. I really enjoyed mine, but I'm not much of a strat player and actually "downgraded" to a PRS se silver sky maple to do some gear fund realocation. Also a very nice guitar, but has a pretty chunky neck and vintage fretboard radius

American performer strat will come in a little cheaper, it has a "modern C" profile, might be worth checking out if you can jive with the big 70s style headstock

But honestly the am. pro II is kind of the perfect strat and a good balance of classic and modern

That seems interesting. I see they now have a new Player II series. I have no experience with MIM Fenders, how's the quality of the pots? (I'd swap the pickups anyway).
MIM Fenders are a no go for me. They have a super thick Polyester finish. Gross. I'm not a "the wood's got to breath mannnnn" guy. But I just hate the encased in thick plastic thing. Just my take.

That seems interesting. I see they now have a new Player II series. I have no experience with MIM Fenders, how's the quality of the pots? (I'd swap the pickups anyway).
Pretty much identical to the original American Standard but with bent steel saddles. Paint is about the same thickness as the old Am Std as well.

Back