Square Pegs/Round Holes

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Mainly because I can't help myself, I want to recreate the sound of my MT15 in HXland. Just starting with the preamp into the FX return and A/Bing. I haven't done this in a while but I know the Badonk is a good place to start with the Lead channel.

Amp settings for reference:
20230520_145552.jpg

I have the Lead channel set for "modest" gain. Too much for dad rock (I scale back the input by about 15dB for that in a preset) but not enough for Metallica -- enough for Jimmy Eat World.

Badonk is doing the job but at mostly noonish EQ settings. Badonk needs slightly higher drive settings to match the MT15 -- good for me because it sounds like I might be able to get my lower gain Lead Channel tone easily.

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 2.56.33 PM.png

The clean channel I had trouble finding a suitable partner for the positions I have the knobs in. It isn't set to overdrive, just a sparkling clean tone. I got all the way to the end of the list and finally found a suitable match with the Grammatico GSC. Nothing else had the bottom+top fidelity. I know Tremonti is into Dumble tones -- could the MT15's Clean be Dumble-inspired? Probably not, but the idea's got my knickers in a twist.

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 2.58.49 PM.png

That's all for now. Hungry time.

Interesting you did not use the Archon as your baseline ?
I would have suspected it should be able to get closer

Interesting you did not use the Archon as your baseline ?
I would have suspected it should be able to get closer
One would think so, but i guess they're not closely related? I'm using the Archetype Clean as a poweramp sim though -- sounds pretty damn close to me! I was just messing around with a progression and decided to paste the overall signal chain into Native and it's got the mojo. Turning it into my next Do Something project.

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 8.03.55 PM.png

would be awesome to hear A/B clips if possible!
Clips of the preamps into the power section, cab, and mic'ed up -- doable. If including the power amp and power amp sim I'd have to reshoot an IR. It just so happens the whole family is out of the house!

Clips of the preamps into the MT15's Power section, 2x12 Greenback cab, Shure SM57 on cap edge, angled slightly away from center.

Clean:

Lead:

Switching between A/B happens a total of 10 times in the Clean clip, 4 in the Lead clip

Back