Sam Ash has passed away at 65

Lysander

Shredder
Sammy Ash, COO of Sam Ash Music, the largest family-owned music retail company in the US, has died aged 65. He was diagnosed with melanoma last year, a battle his family say he fought “quietly and courageously” until his death on 16 September.

In the five decades with the firm that his grandfather, Sam, founded in 1924, Ash would help maintain Sam Ash as one of America’s favourite music retailers, with 44 stores in 16 states across the United States. He can also take credit for naming the Tube Screamer.

Ash was a icon of the Music Business - and it's cool that he help keep the Business in the Family - too young though.

See Ya Around Sammy!

Much too young. Go see a dermatologist, peeps!

RIP

Indeed. I go every year.

Too much high altitude w/ fair hair/skin. I’ve had both the other two forms of skin cancers; squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma‘s.

Had a huge scare with my 15-year-old son, who had a mark under his thumbnail like he had hit it with something.

Quite small originating from the nail-bed, but discoloration under the nail on a Caucasian without any known trauma, is a huge red flag for melanoma.

Bob Marley died of melanoma on his toenail; I’m sure he just ignored the little dot under the nail.

Thank God it turned out benign … but he became a highly unusual medical case study.

It seems like at least around here unfortunately -that most dermatologists now are really just cosmetic doctors for women.

I had no idea there was a person named Sam Ash. I've always heard good things about the store.

I skipped many days of school when living in Staten Island to hop the ferry and spend the day at 48th Street, jumping between Manny’s, Sam Ash, 48th Street Guitars, Rudy’s, etc. Saw a lot of guitars for the very first time at that Sam Ash, namely Hetfield’s Diamond Plate Explorer that weighed about 400lbs and was almost an instant regret when I pulled it off the hanger.

When I was 15 my dad bought me like 72 Sam Ash pics so I’d have plenty of pics, I just found one in my JEM case a year ago.

Back