RedSeven D100PRE - IT'S BACK!

Achilles

Rock Star
D100PRE - basically the 100 watt Duality preamp.
Been wanting to score a modern all tube pre-amp and the price on this was only $1,299 a couple days back.
Based on the quality and bang for the buck with the head it was a no brainer.

20240308_124516.jpg

Holy schiznit! Thing is built like a tank and absolutely no skimping in the glass dept.

20240306_142129.jpg

No bad sounds in any channel. The signal from the box is pretty hot though. Even the -10dB
padded out is loud enough that I had to put a JHS black box in line to tame it even more.

Considering getting a passive DI box and doing it right.

* Price of the PRE has gone up $200 since 2 days ago so I saved a little over 15%. (y)

Last edited:
Just noticed this - these are the two rear panel outputs.
I'm going to assume the two resistors are the pad and I could experiment
with values to get the level to where I don't need the JHS box any more???

@Boudoir Guitar ??

Untitled.png

So weird. Love the D50 head but just can't get on with the preamp. Without the bright switch engaged you can't get any sparkle, and then with it on the two OD channels are too bright with a sizzle if you have the Treble past 9:00 :oops: . If ever a case for a box needing a Presence control.

Of all the options I have right now it's easily the least favorite. Noticed the price of them has gone up again at SonoTone so I should be OK moving it - even though the brand is so obscure.

Interesting. I got one recently as well and dig it quite a bit.

I do agree though, the Brite needs to be for any decent sounds. What are you powering it with? I’m currently using the KSR PA-50 and VHT 2/90/2

So weird. Love the D50 head but just can't get on with the preamp. Without the bright switch engaged you can't get any sparkle, and then with it on the two OD channels are too bright with a sizzle if you have the Treble past 9:00 :oops: . If ever a case for a box needing a Presence control.
Try the usual trick, turn up the gain and roll back your guitar volume and tone instead.

I do agree though, the Brite needs to be for any decent sounds. What are you powering it with? I’m currently using the KSR PA-50 and VHT 2/90/2

Samson rack amp. Sounds great with everything else.
Not saying the D100 necessary sounds bad, it just doesn't keep up with the D50 head for some reason.

Samson rack amp. Sounds great with everything else.
Not saying the D100 necessary sounds bad, it just doesn't keep up with the D50 head for some reason.
Yeah I dunno. It’s pretty stellar in my setup but not everything works for everyone.

Like I never run it without Lead, Brite and Solo on. I adjust channel gain from there. I use the Solo controls to refine the Hi’s and Lows

I use the Solo controls to refine the Hi’s and Lows

I actually tried that yesterday - leaving solo on all the time.
Like I said, it doesn't sound bad it's just going to collect dust because it'll never be my first choice for a jam.
Been kinda forcing myself to give it another go the past couple times I used it!

Astro 20, Skill 30, D50 >>> D100

:giggle:

Last edited:
Like I said, it doesn't sound bad it's just going to collect dust because it'll never be my first choice for a jam.
Been kinda forcing myself to give it another go the past couple times I used it!

Intresting you like the Astro the most , it does seem super versatile

I’d scale back and workhorse hard all over that Astro & Skill.
Between those two…there’s worlds creativity to be had👌

Anyone remember this? Had one years ago and have no clue what became of it.
Designed by James Brown of Peavey/EVH fame.

1711300487201.png

What a brilliant little box that could improve just about anything you put through it.
I have to find another one.

@JerEvil should note I'm judging everything in my volume restricted apt. I never exceed 75dB. :facepalm

James Brown
Eddie-Van-Halen-and-James-Brown.png

Which is your favorite of astro, skill or duality? I had those 3 exact options and went for duality50.

Back