Question On Speakers

Hello All!

I have 2 16ohm speakers with no physical damage. There is continuity, and they both read 12.7 ohm with my meter, which from my understanding is correct, as speakers usually read lower than rated.

Does this indicate a operational speaker?

I just need confirmation, as I don't want to blow a transformer unnecessarily.

Thank you in advance.

The 12.7 ohms is their DC resistance, which is what your meter is able to measure. The 16 ohms is actually an AC impedance, which is similar to DC resistance but not exactly the same.

It sounds like both speakers are fine, as that’s about the DC resistance you should be seeing for a 16 ohm speaker.

The 12.7 ohms is their DC resistance, which is what your meter is able to measure. The 16 ohms is actually an AC impedance, which is similar to DC resistance but not exactly the same.

It sounds like both speakers are fine, as that’s about the DC resistance you should be seeing for a 16 ohm speaker.
Yes, I knew that ...quick and dirty method, sorry ...but thanks.

I guess I forgot I should post like I would in my past professional world, so many intelligent people here, feel like I be diluting the pool. Hahaha.

😁

Thanks for the confirmation, this is how I have handled it for years ...just like to utilize my resources (my fellow TGF'rs).

Funny/sad/coincidental aside. I blew 2 speakers (the Celestion Rocket 50s in an ADA split stack
of all things), and didn't know it was the speakers. So I hooked another head up to it thinking the
amp had failed. Nope! So I ended up with 2 fucked amps and 2 blown speakers. :facepalm

Always best to double-check as you did here. Hell, I am into triple and quadruple checking
these days.

I sold one amp for parts. The other never got fixed. And my ADA cab still doesn't have new
speakers in it.

1000185766.gif

Funny/sad/coincidental aside. I blew 2 speakers (the Celestion Rocket 50s in an ADA split stack
of all things), and didn't know it was the speakers. So I hooked another head up to it thinking the
amp had failed. Nope! So I ended up with 2 fucked amps and 2 blown speakers. :facepalm

Always best to double-check as you did here. Hell, I am into triple and quadruple checking
these days.

I sold one amp for parts. The other never got fixed. And my ADA cab still doesn't have new
speakers in it.
Exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I purchased these used from a guy, and he didn't know which worked, and one got wet in a flood.
Wouldn't be able to tell now.

Luckily, the first and second ones worked well immediately. The other 2 were sketchy and set aside, until now ..13 years later.

Well, apparently the way they wired these was a little questionable, and that's what caused my issue in one ...and probably led to the other one being bad.

I just gutted everything and started from scratch. Then I learned that I had 2 sets from different time periods. One set about 4 years older than the other.

Not the prettiest, but I have plans to recover and plan to redo the grill bits with wood and cloth.

Oxblood tolex and tan and black cloth, is the plan.

If in doubt, have a load in parallel. If you don't own one, even the cheapest shit tier resistive loads would be enough for safety.

If in doubt, have a load in parallel. If you don't own one, even the cheapest shit tier resistive loads would be enough for safety.
I've already installed and tested at load over an extended period of time, and they seem great. Sound just as good as the ones that match it. So I have 2 that are still full original.....and they are damn near 40 years old.....that's crazy to me.

But now I have 2 that match, one loaded with eminence swamp thangs, and the 4th is loaded with the EHX 12VR 75s.....in a stereo configuration.

It's an embarrassment of riches honestly....but nice to take a few projects off the list.

Oh man, I have Pink Fiberglass in mine. Owens Corning/Pink Panther damping. :LOL:

Back