Pod Go + "FRFR" Modified Roland Cube Street EX

TedG

Wonder if you agree or disagree with my current thinking about jazz guitar amplification: I am a one-man-dog playing along with .WAV files into a PA system.

I am moving away from my stereo Fender CyberTwin SE to a PodGo stereo wireless effects pedal, because it supports cabinet IRs, much more variety of amps than the Fender amp, and is infinitely lighter to move. However, I still have occasional jamming needs for a portable guitar amp. So, believe it or not, I have a stereo Roland Street Cube EX, with 2 x 8" speakers + tweeters. It is literally a compact PA system.

I am considering upgrading the speakers for 8" "FRFR" speakers used in luxury marine boats. Why? 4 ohms and designed from scratch for "FRFR". This would make the cube amp closer to an "FRFR" system. I would tweak the EQ from the Pod Go.

Is this improper thinking? A dead end or a flexible future? Thanks...

At crutchfield.com, there is a marine speaker "MB Quart NP1-120" but not sure if I can use the Roland metal grill over it. There is less than 1/2" clearance. "FRFR" audio fidelity should be very good.

I’m not sure you really need to mod that amp since the speakers are already full range. I plugged into one a while back and it seemed like an "FRFR" to me.

Very funny. I am discovering the Pod Go has ability for many --- many --- different amp tones and plenty of reverbs and effects. Never thought I would gravitate to such a small amp with such a variety of tones, and in stereo to boot!

Welcome to the world of good modelers. It’s a great learning experience. I find even when I’m not experimenting with profoundly different tones, I’m switching between amps every few weeks just to keep it fresh.
Did you wind up modding your Cube or keeping it as is?

Back