Plumbers, PVC Masters, HVAC-know-it-somethings, get in here!!

I ask because it's hard to tell what's going on by the photo and what the black space is, but if they are the same, can you take out what ever is holding it up by this distance and pull it down?

Pipe-2.jpg
The black space is a hardened clear substance, it has no space to move. Perhaps I can try to dig the stuff out and see what happens. I'm also not sure what's going on with the pipe in the other side of that wall

The primary rule of plumbing is: water runs downhill. If the line is not blocked and has downhill slope along its entire length, it will drain.

The plumbers who ran the condensate drain lines from our air handlers when the house was being built apparently hadn't gotten the memo. Fortunately, we caught it right away becase the overflow soaked through and stained our upstairs ceiling, and the builder had to fix everything under warranty.
Pretty much my issue, but it was installed before I moved in so I have no idea who did the work in the first place. Could be the guy who owned the house before, a crackpot contractor that made a lot of funny decisions with the property

This is the most dad post ever on a forum. I hope you're all wearing New Balance crosstrainers, khakis, and a polo shirt.
At least not today, lol. New Balance specializes in wide feet so those were my go-to shoes in like '98 before I descovered skate shoes.

Any chance you can elevate the unit itself? Wonder how much clearance you
have above it. I see there is already some OSB underneath it. Getting the unit a
bit higher is just as good as dropping the drain pipe lower, if you can do it.

I've got some HVAC people coming today instead of next week, glad they're being super flexible.

I think their options will be to relocate or replace/relocate the unit itself which is fine by me at this point!

Looking at some of the condensate pumps available I don't see how I'd get one worked into the current system.

I'll try to fuck with the pipes when I get home to see if any consistent luck will come pouring out. In the meantime my boss is lending me her radiator heater to help blow more circuit protectors at my house :D

Thanks everyone for your advice and support, hope you all are keeping warm!

Any chance you can elevate the unit itself? Wonder how much clearance you
have above it. I see there is already some OSB underneath it. Getting the unit a
bit higher is just as good as dropping the drain pipe lower, if you can do it.
20221207_210615.jpg

There's almost no clearance above it. There are a bunch of beams like the one pictured below running diagonal and they've wedged it underneath.

It's gonna cost the price of an economy car to place a new unit (with a fucking drip pan) in the space pictured below, basicly to the left of where the current unit is.
Screenshot_20221207-210935_Gallery.jpg

My wife was ready to sign as soon as the guy got here. They'll be here tomorrow morning and hopefully be done by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Paging @the swede . You make house-calls stateside?? :idk
Eeeewww

@Alex Kenivel
Been there, done that… not in my house, but at work…

It was just like that, unit is to low, pipe is to narrow dimension, pipe is laid flat to long distance. Water damage.

Jimmy Fallon Interview GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

In that case i was at, the unit itself (cooling exchanger in ventilation, condensation….) had to be raised and that was possible. The drain pipe was also changed to larger dimension and re installed to exit the attic “earlier” to the floor below.

Last edited:
We have this issue every couple of years. Our condensation pipe overflows because tree roots from out front of the house clog the main pipe that leads to the sewer. We use a local plumber to come out and snake it when it happens.

We have this issue every couple of years. Our condensation pipe overflows because tree roots from out front of the house clog the main pipe that leads to the sewer. We use a local plumber to come out and snake it when it happens.

If you drop some Root X down the line you can get ahead of that once they’ve been snaked out. We were having crazy drainage issues on the property, to the point we had water entering the buildings and our elevator shafts flooding because nothing could drain off the property and when we tried getting them snaked, they couldn’t even get the snake into the line to do anything they were so clogged. It looked like someone took every death metal band’s logo and shoved them into the sewers. :rofl

I’d just drop some of the Root X in there, wait a few weeks and when they came back with the snake it was like a hot knife in butter.

Sorry, Alex. Seems like you have a decent attitude about the mayhem and money.
Of all the things in my life that had ever gone sideways, this is far from the worst. I'm just glad we're prepared for major things like this, can recoup our savings in the next year or two, and had people to come and do the work in short notice.
20221208_183404.jpg

Water isn't a byproduct of this unit so I won't have to worry about drains. Now I need to fix the damage done to the walls from the water and get the old piping dealt with - they told me they capped it all but I found it still quite open and dripping with my plastic bowl shoved underneath. Some other debris up there too:hmm

20221208_183525.jpg

Really happy to have heat. Can't wait for the New Furnace Burning Smell to wear off

Back