• I Have Practiced Keeping It Close But I Still Can't Control It

• I Don't Practice Keeping It Close

• It Goes Where It Wants & I Don't Care

• I Don't Use My Pinky

• What's Pinky Flail?

Results are only viewable after voting.
RW.gif

Last edited:
I’m assuming you’re talking about the fretting hand pinky?

Mine is all over the place and often curled inwards, but as my hand moves it’s moving as well. My uncle used to give me sh*t for not following the 1-finger-per-fret “rule”, like if you’re playing something on the first 4 frets, your index should be the first fret, 2nd fret would be your middle, 3rd ring and 4th pinky, which I ended up adapting more when I started doing the Petrucci metronome exercises, but when I’m just noodling around that thing is like “Don’t forget I’m here too, I wanna play!”

For the most part I don't worry about it - it stays close enough to not slow my down.

I have had periods where it lined up perfectly with my other fingers, totally relaxed, and it didn't take that much practice getting it there. But without consistent practice it reverts to where it is now (which is not remotely "flailing" like you seem some dudes on the YouTube; just not perfect technically).

I use my pinky in leads or riffs or for oblique bends where the pinky stays stationary and I bend the string above it. I also use it for various chord voicings. But bending with my pinky? Fuggedaboudit. :whistle

Pinky finger is important to me. Certainly can bend w it. But I don’t think about it a whole lot.

Depends what you are playing.
Some amazing players only use it when they have to but they do use it.

This is a fantastic example.

Back