NPD: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe

jellodog

Rock Star
I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I'm using the Tumnus Deluxe as a warmed up cleanish boost for my Princeton Reverb right now. Which seems somewhat silly given that it has such delicious gain tones to offer.

What impressed me about this pedal is that it's a real Swiss army knife of overdrive. You can use it super clean as a flat boost, and then gradually bring up the gain. And as the gain is increased, mids are slowly brought in along with more tasty harmonic content.

I know for sure now that if I'd gone for a regular Klon clone that I would have been frustrated and wished I had that mids control. Of course more mids make sense for gain, but I already like the sound of my amp when playing pushed cleans, so a regular Klon would have added too much mids for the tone that I'm going for. Also, the bass knob was handy for retaining low end warmth and punch.

Yep. The 3 band EQ is a winner.

I tried the Tumnus at higher gain settings with a Plexi style amp and found the Tumnus was a little fatter, warmer and smoother compared to a Boss SD-1. The TD didn't quite have the chirp of the SD-1 on a single coil neck pickup at similar settings. Sounded good though!

So I've currently got the Tumnus set up to push my Princeton Reverb, adding a little harmonic content, fattening the tone from my single coils and with just a touch of gain, taking the sharp edges off of the high string attack. Smoother, but not too smooth! It's set right on the edge for the most pleasing attack.

I'll probably play with the Tumnus gain settings a bit more, but I've got the Belle for crunchy tones at the moment and it's nice switching between the two pedals.

I haven't got a Lightspeed anymore, but I think I prefer the Tumnus Deluxe, from what I can recall of the Lightspeed. TD is so much more flexible.

My pedalboard is a total mess right now. Nothing is stuck down during this time of flux and experimentation.

tumnus deluxe.jpg

Last edited:
Back