NPD: Ashville Analog Delay

Achilles

Rock Star
1716847865603.png

Since being here I gave both the SD-3000 and Discovery another chance...... they'll be on Verb shortly.
Back to the Waza DM-2 again.

This guy gets rave reviews when it comes to Bucket Brigade stuff and it's got some bells & whistles.

Another deal with someone in LA.
Shipping to north San Diego is an attractive reason to accept an offer!

Will report back on whether it earns the rep.

Last edited:
What didn’t you like about the Discovery? I was always curious to try it, but could never get past the ransom price they were asking for it.

What didn’t you like about the Discovery? I was always curious to try it, but could never get past the ransom price they were asking for it.

Ergonomically, the physical layout of the pedal SUCKS.
The mix control is sensitive. Easy to go from too wet to too dry without finding the sweet spot.
Needs 15V and doesn't include a PS.
It's delay voice is nice but the DM-2's is better imo.
No switch to turn the mod on/off.

Last edited:
Hey @PLX you wanna build me a clone for backup?

Check out the vertical text on the pcb to the left of the foil cable. :LOL:

20240530_080120.jpg

Suhr-Discovery-Front@1050x1400-800x1067.jpg
DSCF2367.png

Ergonomically, the physical layout of the pedal SUCKS.
The mix control is sensitive. Easy to go from too wet to too dry without finding the sweet spot.
Needs 15V and doesn't include a PS.
It's delay voice is nice but the DM-2's is better imo.
No switch to turn the mod on/off.

This thing is so sweet. Fixes everything wrong about the Discovery (obviously no tap temp, divisions, or presets but I never used that stuff anyway).
Find the right setting for the song and then play with the mix control as needed.

Its voice is hard to explain in that it doesn't remind me of any pedal I've used the past few years.
Took maybe all of 5 minutes to get use to the control ranges and the sounds settled in during that time.
The tone control is really good on this - in hindsight the Discovery's was not very good.
And the modulations sound like they were designed by someone who understands that shit.
I'd never heard a built in mod on a delay sound anywhere near legit like a CE-2 or TC. This thing does.

Serious, serious piece of gear for you delay freaks out there.
And it won't break the bank - less $$ than Strymon.

Update - internal clock's gone bad I think. :mad:
The maximum delay time is suppose to be 700ms but now it sounds like half that.
Happened right out of the blue while using it. Tried powering down and letting it
sit for a minute but it didn't help. Will get in touch with them tomorrow am.

DAMN!

I had a feeling. Since Moog was stationed there. Figured a connection must exist somewhere.

I had those big ass Moog pedals once upon a time. Super soupy and murky and a lot of fun. :chef

Kind of nuts the prices they ended up going for.

Mind if I ask how many of his builds you have owned? :idk

Gotta admit, for all its praise, I am not a fan of the Boss Waza DM-2. I l prefer the Donnor Yellow Fall @~$35. I wish they built a full size fully loaded unit around this circuit. Add tone knob, tap tempo, etc. Clean up the noise a bit too and I’d spend 4X for such a unit.

I am not a fan of the Boss Waza DM-2.

I've had it for a couple years now and have tried so many time to replace it, yet it always ends up back as #1.
I really like it's voice and the range of the knobs. Wish they'd make a dedicated larger version with some modulation.

Back