New Snek

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Janitor at my wife's school found this little guy in another classroom so she brought it home as a (possibly temporary) pet for my youngest daughter, who is feeling the FOMO after her older sister got a Parakeet (she kept a ladybug, but all it did was sleep).

He's a cute little bastard that my youngest has named Snuggles the Snake, a Pacific Ringneck.

Don’t step on snek …

homer simpson episode 10 GIF

Ringnecks are cool little snakes.

Back in the day it was really hard to keep them in captivity from what I remember because they were hard to feed.

No idea if there's more info these days - but I'm sure if you search it out you will find some. No internet back then :)

Ringnecks are cool little snakes.

Back in the day it was really hard to keep them in captivity from what I remember because they were hard to feed.

No idea if there's more info these days - but I'm sure if you search it out you will find some. No internet back then :)
Yeah there isn't a heck of a lot of info specific to ringneck snakes that I've found but I haven't really dug that hard. We got a few mealworms a day or so ago but it hasn't tried for them yet, hence it's current position of "possible temporary" pet. If this one doesn't make it, we might for sure get another.

Snakes are cool. A friend had some small ones and they were interesting to handle. Like a creature made of pure muscle.

Yeah there isn't a heck of a lot of info specific to ringneck snakes that I've found but I haven't really dug that hard. We got a few mealworms a day or so ago but it hasn't tried for them yet, hence it's current position of "possible temporary" pet. If this one doesn't make it, we might for sure get another.
From what I remember, I think it was earthworms that they supposedly ate but I could be remembering wrong.

From what I remember, I think it was earthworms that they supposedly ate but I could be remembering wrong.
Something I read mentioned slugs and mealworms as well as earthworms. Earthworms I see are usually about the size of this snake or even larger so I don't think he'd be able to eat one.

Something I read mentioned slugs and mealworms as well as earthworms. Earthworms I see are usually about the size of this snake or even larger so I don't think he'd be able to eat one.
That sounds like what we call "night crawlers" which are like 4-5" long and pretty "chunky".

You might be able to find "red worms" at a bait and tackle shop. They are much smaller and thinner.

Back