New Dream Theater- I'd Love It To Have Something Like This:

TSJMajesty

Rock Star

What it is about this ending solo that has always hit me a certain way, I can only imagine has to do with the varying ways JP creates his riffs centered around the chords.

First off, the chord progression behind it is crazy good, and imaginative..., the rhythm, the chord choices, the way it builds..., it's certainly one of his all-time bests, and I'd be so thrilled if the new album has something crafted in a similar way.

And the way he runs through it the final time, using arpeggios..., gives me goose bumps! And I'm trying to learn it!

Can't JP be a little more considerate when he writes stuff? :hmm
This is actually not too terribly difficult, and so much fun to play! Cued to where the fun gets going. ;)

1725907288881.png

This is actually not too terribly difficult, and so much fun to play! Cued to where the fun gets going. ;)

View attachment 28178

I want to learn just one DT song from start to finish, but there's always something that's just too freaking hard, before we even get to the solo(s), but this song I can actually play. I'd just need a bit of work on stringing all the parts together, but I could get it.

But that solo!! It is so..., different, that I never even attempted it much, figuring there has to be parts of the tab that were incorrect (It sounds absolutely weird!)

But I just found a guy playing it at half-speed, right over top of the recording, and aside from just 1 note, it is actually correct. But still, it's so crazy, with string-skipping, and fingering patterns I've never seen before, and quick shifts, that it makes me think, HOW TF can somebody PLAY this damn thing?? I mean seriously!!

This is the first half:
1725913477795.png

Is that DiMeola-influenced, Dave? I mean, WTAF?!

And, WHO came up with it in the first place? It's nothing like any other JP stuff, so I have to think it came from Derek Sherinian. I mean, he's no Jordan Rudess, but he's an amazing player in his own right! And he comes up with some really interesting parts!

Oh and @la szum , you were saying how JR scares you...., I was watching a video that's a mashup of other videos, showing Portnoy's, JP's, and JR's influences. JP is playing Working Man and Paranoid..., Portnoy is running through Zepellin riffs, and then they show Jordan's stuff, and he's playing these intricate classical pieces, and crazy-complicated arrangements of standards...., all sorts of left-field shit!

It's kind of funny. And very telling! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1725913336177.png
    1725913336177.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 2
But that solo!! It is so..., different, that I never even attempted it much, figuring there has to be parts of the tab that were incorrect (It sounds absolutely weird!)

But I just found a guy playing it at half-speed, right over top of the recording, and aside from just 1 note, it is actually correct. But still, it's so crazy, with string-skipping, and fingering patterns I've never seen before, and quick shifts, that it makes me think, HOW TF can somebody PLAY this damn thing?? I mean seriously!!
Looks like Ron nailed it! (But he does look like he has to concentrate.) Sick player too!

Man this solo in Just Let Me Breathe is SO WIERD!! It's total memorization, as I've never seen anything like it. I can't even get through it at a slow tempo yet, because there's not only the notes to remember, but which fingers to use, to ensure you'll be in the most optimal position for the next stretch and 2-string skips!!

And something I remember about this solo..., it's recorded in halves. I.e., part of it is played on the left track, then the right, etc. I actually wonder if JP needed to do it that way because he needed more time to learn it, so he could play the entire thing live.

This is the best tab I can come up with (not that anyone other than my crazy ass wants to mess with it!) Ignore the measures with rests; that's how I had to format it so it would fit better, and not be so small.

I guess I just need to remember that one of the reasons I picked John Petrucci material to learn was to help keep my brain sharp. Some people do crosswords; I play Dream Theater. As best I can.

JLMB Weird Part 130 2.png

Back