NBD: Squier Bass VI in Antigua

bikescene

Roadie
My preorder of a Squier CV Bass VI from CME came a month early, while I was still on vacation. I already have a Squier VM Baritone Jazzmaster in Antigua, and a couple of baritone Teles, so I knew what to expect in terms of fit and finish.

The guitar was single boxed from Fender to CME and mangled along the way. CME added their box to ship to me. The damaged box was being held by tape in multiple locations. I assume CME opened it up to see if the guitar was smashed, and patched up the box with tape.

IMG_20241004_101426208~2.jpg

Once I stopped freaking out, I opened the box to discover that the Bass VI made it to me intact. I quickly plugged it into my Fractal FM3 and pulled up some Marshall-y patches to make sure the electronics worked.

IMG_20241004_092042960~2.jpg

The pickups were noisy in their single positions, but not as bad as my Squier Baritone Jazzmaster. I got some cool distorted tones with the bridge pickup into the 1987X model, and some nice bass-like tones on the neck through a clean JTM45 model.

The intonation of the low E was off by 15 cents, which was expected. I need to read up on Bass VI setup to try to get it in optimal playing condition. I will probably bump up the string gauge a little since the low E is a bit floppy.

I didn't have the time to sit down and record any tones. I will probably eventually post some clips, as I experiment with the Bass VI. I am looking forward to trying it out with the Helix set of bass amps/cabs. I also want to see what the high gain single coil hum will be like through my Peavey 6505 in the room.

Bruce Willis Movie GIF

Gorgeous! :love

I have a Bass VI, too. Fun, out of the box, take you new places kind of instrument. :beer

Looks stunning! I've always liked Antigua but that's an especially beautiful example. Looks great on what is clearly a unique instrument...

Big fan of Squier; my two most played guitars are the Starcaster and Tele deluxe. Love them both!

(I would've needed liquid courage to open that box...ugh..)

I just saw that Squier is making a Fretless Jazz Bass, too. :knit

Back