MOD Audio Reverb: Does it Church?

Yeah, this is the OsteenVerb.
Nik Wallenda Highwire Live GIF by Volcano Live! with Nik Wallenda

That's pretty interesting; I've been looking for a hardware device that can run TrueStereo convolution reverb like LiquidSonic's Reverberate 3 VST. I wonder what the round-trip latency is on the MOD hardware. I tried the Poly Digit pedal and found the 20ms latency that it added to make it much less than ideal for playing guitar.

So, does anyone know what's a) the device latency of the MOD Dwarf (everything unloaded, just soft-thru), b) whether it adds some more latency once IRs are used and c) whether it possibly has dry-thru in case (a) and (b) would get in the way?

Also, does that thing have enough horsepower to run, say, a nice delay and an IR reverb at once?

Does it add those all the time or just for some FX?
I believe it's all the time, though I've not done much testing on that. The developer mentioned that he's looking into making the internal buffer adjustable so the latency can be set lower when running less CPU-intensive effects, but I've not seen any news on that in about a year.

I believe it's all the time, though I've not done much testing on that. The developer mentioned that he's looking into making the internal buffer adjustable so the latency can be set lower when running less CPU-intensive effects, but I've not seen any news on that in about a year.

Thanks. That'd instantly make it a no go for me. I'd rather purchase a dedicated convertible laptop then.

Thanks. That'd instantly make it a no go for me. I'd rather purchase a dedicated convertible laptop then.
100% agree; I've been trying to find a non-computer solution but truestereo IRs are such a niche thing that there just doesn't seem to be a dedicated hardware device that can deal with them well. The closest thing I've gotten to success with this outside of a PC is with my iPad, which requires a separate audio interface, plus a USB-C hub, plus a bunch of cables. The other option would be to spend $800 and get two Boss-IR200 pedals and run them in parallel, which isn't a bad idea except for the expense - cheaper to buy a laptop and an audio interface, though that has a much larger footprint.

Honestly, I should just pony up the cash for an Axe FX III or an FM9, then I can run truestereo IRs without having to worry about using PC software, AND I'd get to run duel amp presets and all the other cool jazz that the FM3 can't do. Depending on how big my bonus is next month, I very well might do that. I could sell the FM3 to help cut the cost, of course, so it wouldn't really be all that big of a hit to the wallet.

Hold on, so you're not talking about longer IRs then?
No, the IRs that I use are fairly short, about .4 seconds long, so they would be able to be handled by the higher-end Fractal hardware without a problem. I made binaural IRs of my own playing space in my apartment and I use these IRs with headphones so I can get a very amp-in-MY-room sound without bothering the neighbors or girlfriend. It's incredibly realistic sounding and no dedicated reverb effect, plugin or otherwise, has ever come even close to achieving the same level of realism. I forget that I'm not listening through actual speakers when I use these things.

The tricky part about them is that there's 4 IRs: LL, LR, RL, and RR (true stereo format) and the FM3 cannot use more than two IRs at the same time, and it does not support FullRes IRs which can be up to 1.33 seconds in length. Even if it could, I'd run out of DSP and have practically no room for the amp and effects.

Oh I see. Well, my use case would be different, I'd like to use them for wicked spatial FX. Latency isn't all that much of an issue in that case as things would only be mixed in and anything around 10ms (or even somewhat more) would just be perceived as bit of additional predelay on the wet side.

So, does anyone know what's a) the device latency of the MOD Dwarf (everything unloaded, just soft-thru), b) whether it adds some more latency once IRs are used and c) whether it possibly has dry-thru in case (a) and (b) would get in the way?

Also, does that thing have enough horsepower to run, say, a nice delay and an IR reverb at once?
Roundtrip Latency is fixed at 8ms, independently of the amount of effects loaded. https://wiki.mod.audio/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_latency_of_the_devices.3F

Yes. It has horsepower for way more than that :-)

Back