Midi Controlled Relay Switcher

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Voodoo Lab, MIDI Solutions, what do you have and how do you like it? What don't you like?

What else is small and available?

I've used most of them at some point or another. They all work as they should. It all depends on what amp you're switching and how many relays you need. Units like Voodoo Lab and RJM allow you to switch amps with a 5 pin footswitch jack or several 1/4 jacks , while units like the Suhr or MIDI Solutions are for simpler amps with a TS or TRS jack.

Also keep in mind that some multi-effects units like the MS-3, HXFX and even older units like the G-Major have that capability built-in.

RJM Mini Amp Gizmo worked well with the Bogner GF45 SL I had. It did need a custom cable though but RJM was helpful in providing a schematic, built one out of a MIDI cable.

I wouldn't recommend this for anything but amps that have more complex switching with a custom DIN cable solution.

Used Suhr Micromidi came in today in the OG box and all of the included goodies. Unit is flawless on the outside, some white residue on the PCB. Someone already switched it off its default midi channel 1 to channel 2 for me. Fired it up and it works.

Sent it a few different messages. Found one CC message that will toggle between the two channels of my amp, and two other CC messages for the two seperate channels so I can set up presets that always fall onto the channel I want no matter what channel it was on previously. Pretty damn nifty!
20230427_211549.jpg

Used Suhr Micromidi came in today in the OG box and all of the included goodies. Unit is flawless on the outside, some white residue on the PCB. Someone already switched it off its default midi channel 1 to channel 2 for me. Fired it up and it works.

Sent it a few different messages. Found one CC message that will toggle between the two channels of my amp, and two other CC messages for the two seperate channels so I can set up presets that always fall onto the channel I want no matter what channel it was on previously. Pretty damn nifty!
View attachment 6846
Now that's the form factor I've been looking for.

$120 new - not bad. I would have assumed anything with a Suhr badge would be cost-prohibitive.

Last edited:
offcourse it depends on your board/setup/future endevors/each his own yadidayadida:

After fooling around with loopers/switchers in boxes & midicontrolers…I landed on a boss es5 which combines all in 1 box. Simple, less connection/hassle, smaller footprint. Ms3 is also something to look at if your looking to get a lot of function from 1 unit.

Back