Marshall 1987x vs EHX Mig 50 comparison

Here we go:

Never mind my playing, just banging whatever came to mind. The plexi is brighter and more aggressive. It's THAT sound.
The Mig 50 is smoother, darker and a bit quieter, but a great sounding amp. Closer to a JTM45/Bassman deal.

Your 1987 sounds AWESOME there. What’s the cab and speakers? Great playing btw.

The MiG sounds great too. I remember those going for like $600 at some point, which seems like an absolute steal.

Your 1987 sounds AWESOME there. What’s the cab and speakers? Great playing btw.

Thanks man! It's a Seismic 2x12 with a V30 and a Redback. It's my "home" cab. Live, I usually play with a Marshall 1960AV, but my home studio is upstairs and there is no way I am carrying a 4x12 up and down the stairs :ROFLMAO:

I have always wondered about those Migs? :unsure: Sounds great as per usual :satan

I like the Marshall a little 'better' but honestly, the MiG sounds like it is maybe a BMT tweak or EQ in the loop away from sameness (although it looks like settings on the MiG are a little extreme).

I like the Marshall a little 'better' but honestly, the MiG sounds like it is maybe a BMT tweak or EQ in the loop away from sameness (although it looks like settings on the MiG are a little extreme).
well, you know how the EQ on NMV amps are when the amp is cranked, they don't do much at that point.

If I am running the amp clean the EQ is very effective. But when the amp is cranked, the EQ pretty much changes the feel more than the tone. The MIG does not have a loop. The Marshall does, but it's not very useful to be honest, because since the power amp is distorting, there is distortion before and after the loop so you might as well just run your pedal out front.

EQ settings for both amps are nearly the same: Bass off and Presence, Treble and Mids set high. You would think that would be a shrill tone but no, there is so much thickness coming from the cranked power sections, this is the way to get a fat, yet tight tone. Well at least that's how I do it :rofl YYMV

Now, the volume is a different matter altogether. The Marshall volume and gain comes up really quick on the Treble channel volume knob. So the volume is set to 4 and that's full volume and a good amount of gain.

The MIG has a much more gradual taper. It doesn't start clipping until about 5 on the dial. So the volume on the MIG is close to maxed out to match the same amount of gain the Marshall puts out at 4.

That's because the Marshall has Low and High inputs for each channel and the Mig has only one input per channel and the Volume knob covers the high and low ranges.

Last edited:
Yeah, it really seems like that MiG is a diamond in the rough kind of find. It is absolutely holding its own in the clip.

Back