Lookin for love in all the wrong places...and finding it!

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
People will laugh but I have always loved the GSP2101 Speaker Compensation sim. It's old AF and I have no idea if it's convoluted or or sine tested or contains dilithium crystals but what I do know is it's very pleasant to my ears.

Well. I am working at home and dubbing around with Helix patches through my hybrid PA and tube amp rig and I ran into a DSP conundrum where the only thing I could remove and get what I wanted "effect -wise" was the IR on the PA path. What the heck I said (I said worse actually) let's try the GSP2101 Speaker Compensation cab in my Soundcraft ui24R mixer ( it has almost an entire RP500 built in). So I removed the IR and crossed my fingers as I enabled that sim in my mixer and..

WHAM-O! It sounds fantastic and right now I am enjoying it more than any of the IR's I typically use. Granted this is a super high gain patch I am working on so I haven't tried it with anything not high gain. Gotta re-iterate how good this speaker sim is at least for high gain sounds.

Well off to try it with clean to grind.

Seriously; once you find the IR you like....move on. I don't care if it's cab emulation from a 20year old Behringer DI box or 'insert whatever brand new hyperealistic speaker emulation plug-in with "next gen tech" here'. If you like it enough to keep jamming with it; move on to the next problem.

Seriously; once you find the IR you like....move on. I don't care if it's cab emulation from a 20year old Behringer DI box or 'insert whatever brand new hyperealistic speaker emulation plug-in with "next gen tech" here'. If you like it enough to keep jamming with it; move on to the next problem.

Yeah I am definitely an overthinker. It's probably why I'm so drawn to modeling stuff cos there's so many options typically.

I have a Palmer PDI-03 and you know something? It’s really not bad sounding at all!

I have a Palmer PDI-03 and you know something? It’s really not bad sounding at all!
There are guys elsewhere who get great tone who use the Palmer stuff. Analog cab sims have a good following from all I have read over the years. Despite there being all sorts of advancements in the digital world.

There are guys elsewhere who get great tone who use the Palmer stuff. Analog cab sims have a good following from all I have read over the years. Despite there being all sorts of advancements in the digital world.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I actually use it 😂 but I have one sitting ready to go. It sounded good the times I’ve tracked it. I really like two notes WOS these days for the desk and for gigs whatever I can dig up off the fractal stuff. Sometimes I’ll just use the Amp from the fractal into WOS then go outboard eventide. Depends how spirited I am and what I’m working on.

So much this.

Back